Thursday, July 18, 2019

Shawn Mendes (3) - Week Of July 13, 2019














Hey guys! I hope you all had another great week! We got rid of quite a few space fillers this week, which was good. However, we got some fairly lackluster debuts in return. However, we got a couple of alright ones. So, there is not much lost, and just a little gained here. This countdown really isn't getting much better. Before we get to this week's fresh 45, here are the songs that we're saying goodbye to this week.

  • Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (#27)
  • Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend (#34)
  • NOTD/Felix Jaehn/Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close (#37)
  • Post Malone - Wow. (#41)
  • Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
Last Week's #1 Song: Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You

The Countdown
45. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#44)
44. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#43)
43. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired... (#42)
42. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#40) [2 Weeks At #1]
41. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#25)
40. Push Baby - Mama's House (#38)
39. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#39)
38. P!nk - Hustle (DEBUT)
37. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#33) [7 Weeks At #1]
36. Public - Make You Mine (DEBUT)
35. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (#31)
34. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#35) [8 Weeks At #1]
33. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#28)
32. Blanco Brown - The Git Up (DEBUT)
31. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#18)
30. Martin Garrix/Macklemore/Patrick Stump - Summer Days (#23)
29. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#29)
28. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You (#21)
27. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#26)
26. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (#24)
25. Lizzo - Truth Hurts (DEBUT)
24. Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me (#32)
23. Bazzi - Paradise (#36)
22. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down (#17)
21. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#30)
20. Ava Max - So Am I (#19)
19. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#20)
18. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy (#22)
17. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#10)
16. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (#16)
15. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME! (#6)
14. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier (#14)
13. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#8)
12. Halsey - Without Me (#12) [5 Weeks At #1]
11. Jonas Brothers - Cool (#13)
10. Katy Perry - Never Really Over (#15)
9. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#11)
8. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita (DEBUT)
7. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#9) [3 Weeks At #1]
6. Khalid - Talk (#7)
5. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care (#5)
4. Halsey - Nightmare (#2)
3. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#4) [13 Weeks At #1]
2. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#3)
1. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (#1) [3rd Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (-16)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Bazzi - Paradise (+13)

Spotlight Of The Week: Ed Sheeran/Camila Cabello/Cardi B - South Of The Border


New Entrants

~ First up in this rather underwhelming class of debuts is Hustle from P!nk. This song has been around for quite a while now, and I really did not think that it was going to make it off of Hit-Bound. But, alas, here it is. Seeing as this song has been around for a while now, I am kind of losing interest in it--so it could be blue within the next couple of weeks (if it even stays that long). Her voice here is alright. I also like the energy and fun vibe to this song, but this is seriously nowhere near P!nk's best. Hurts 2B Human as a whole wasn't anything amazing. I much preferred the slower tracks on that album over the much more upbeat ones. All in all, this track is okay, but leaves a little bit to be desired.

~ Next is a song I can't even believe that I'm reviewing now--because it was released four years ago. I do not understand why a song that was released in 2015 is even here; especially one that is as irrelevant as this one. I have never heard of Public in my life, and Make You Mine is seriously one big snooze-fest. This song is boring as hell. The production is stale, the voices are lack-luster, and all in all this song is just IRRELEVANT. Yet another spot taken up on this countdown with a song that I can't possibly imagine anyone is voting for. Thankfully, I don't think it will last long. However, it could just be one of those annoying ass songs that just sits in the bottom 5 for weeks on end. I hope this leaves as soon as possible.

~ With our worst debut of the week and our new worst song on the countdown comes Blanco Brown with The Git Up. This is just a re-make of Old Town Road. It is obvious that this guy was just out for a quick cash grab--considering that America's music taste has gone to absolute shit. The Git Up is so much worse than Old Town Road, and that is saying a lot. While this song has more of a country vibe than the other, it is still nowhere near what classifies as a country song (I don't think most country songs classify as country songs nowadays anyways, but that's a different story). This guy certainly doesn't have a lick of talent. This guy has an awful voice and everything about this song is weak. The lyrics, the focus, the production--EVERYTHING. At this point, I'm just rolling my eyes at how bad America's music taste has gotten. The year of 2019 for music just keeps on getting worse and worse. I seriously hope that this song doesn't last long.

~ Next we have Truth Hurts by Lizzo. I am happy that she is getting recognition, but her better music lies in the songs that aren't released as singles. Sure, Truth Hurts has a little bit of curb appeal, but it really isn't anything special. I find it catchy and fun from time to time, but all in all this song is kind of flashy, out there, and a bit overrated. I don't think she should be focusing on rapping, because I think she has a bit of a knack for singing (ex. Juice). I don't really care what this song does at the moment, but eventually I think I am going to get sick of it.

~ Finally, we have the best debut of the week in my personal opinion (and it's not even that great)--Señorita from Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello. They debuted all the way up at #8, making this the second-highest debut in countdown history. I don't know why this is a thing with Hits 1 lately. A lot of songs have been debuting above the #20 mark, when that rarely happened before this year. Anyways, Señorita, while being pretty catchy at first, is already starting to lose my interest. Both sound okay here, but this is neither of their best work. I personally think Shawn sounded best on his music from last year, and this song really wasn't that much of a stand-out for him in terms of my taste. Camila has her moments of sounding "meh" in her songs, and her moments of sounding extremely good--but here she just sounds "meh". Overall, I don't think I am going to be liking this song for too much longer. It is good, and way better than anything else we got this week (besides Hustle), but again nothing that was exceptionally well vocally, lyrically, or structurally.

Entrant Rankings:
  1. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
  2. P!nk - Hustle
  3. Lizzo - Truth Hurts
  4. Public - Make You Mine
  5. Blanco Brown - The Git Up

Hit-Bound
  • Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
  • Stephen Puth - Look Away (DEBUT)
  • Dominic Fike - 3 Nights (DEBUT)
  • Ed Sheeran/Chance The Rapper/PnB Rock - Cross Me
  • SHAED - Trampoline
  • Jonas Brothers - Only Human (DEBUT)
  • Ellie Goulding & Juice WRLD - Hate Me (DEBUT)
  • AJR - 100 Bad Days
  • Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
  • Post Malone/Young Thug - Goodbyes (DEBUT)
  • Asher Angel - One Thought Away
  • Thomas Rhett - Look What God Gave Her (DEBUT)
  • The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
  • OneRepublic - Rescue Me
  • In Real Life - Crazy AF
~ First up this week is Stephen Puth with Look Away. I enjoy this song. I think this is a step up from Sexual Vibe. I find the vocals more appealing and the overall production to be better than his debut single. Overall, this is something that I would like to see debut on the countdown in the near future.

~ Next up is Dominic Fike with 3 Nights. I like the chorus in this song, but the rest of it is kind of boring as of now. I think this one could definitely be a grower, but for now it is alright I suppose.

~ We now have another new Jonas Brothers song on Hits 1. Thankfully it is good, unlike the Sucker (at least at the moment) and Cool. Only Human debuts on Hit-Bound this week. I very much enjoy the vibe. It's very tropical-like. The vocals here are good and the overall production is solid. Although I prefer one of their non-singles right now, I am enjoying this one as well. If you have not checked it out already, I highly recommend I Believe from Happiness Begins. It is a very good pop song. I recently stumbled upon it and I enjoy it very much.

~ Next is Hate Me from Ellie Goulding and Juice WRLD. This definitely not a collaboration that I was expecting to be good--but this is actually a pretty decent song. It is kind of repetitive--which I don't like. However, neither of the two artists on this track sound that bad here. It certainly isn't her best, but I will take this song for the moment. In the end, at least this is a step up from Close To Me.

~ Now, we have the best debut onto Hit-Bound of the week. I very much enjoy Goodbyes by Post Malone and Young Thug. This could easily be his best song to date. He actually sounds really good here, and so does Young Thug. I enjoy the production here and the overall flow of the track is very nice. I would love to see this become a hit. I enjoy it and it is very catchy. It is certainly one of my favorites right now.

~ Finally, we have Thomas Rhett with Look What God Gave Her. I'm not really sure why Hits 1 decided to pick up on this song, but I guess I'm fine with it. At least it is not more Dan + Shay. Thomas Rhett is actually one of the best country artists out there right now. His music is fairly enjoyable. Look What God Gave Her isn't great, but it is good for what it is. The vocals are alright and the overall vibe is good. But, I wouldn't care if this made it to the countdown or not. 

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
2. Post Malone/Young Thug - Goodbyes
3. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
4. Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
5. Jonas Brothers - Only Human


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
20. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
19. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made Igt
18. Ava Max - So Am I
17. Jonas Brothers - Cool

1-Bad
16. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
15. Khalid - Talk
14. Halsey - Without Me

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
13. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
12. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
11. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love

4-Good
10. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
9. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
8. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier
7. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care

5-Great
6. Halsey - Nightmare
5. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me
4. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
3. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
2. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!

Score: 58% (F)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Blanco Brown - The Git Up
2. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You
5. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!
2. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
3. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
4. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
5. Bazzi - Paradise

Thanks for reading!

~ Jack :)

2 comments:

  1. Wait what? Hey Look Ma, I Made It? Garbage? Could you give at least a brief explanation; doesn't need to be too much but just give me a general idea of what you're thinking.

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...