Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Album Review #1: Ed Sheeran - No.6 Collaborations Project

TITLE      No.6 Collaborations Project
 
ARTIST    Ed Sheeran
  
RELEASE DATE   July 12, 2019
 
LABEL              Atlantic Records
 
NO. OF TRACKS  15





To preface this, I am going to be starting a series where I host reviews of several albums that have garnered a fair amount of attention on the music scene. Currently, I am on tap to review Taylor Swift's Lover when it surfaces next month. However, I would like to conduct a couple of album reviews in between this one and that one. I will take requests for album reviews. They could either be albums or EP's. I am open to anything. So, if you would like to see me give a review of some of your favorite songs, just give a shout down below, and I will see what I can do. I am looking forward to expanding my content in a beneficial way with these reviews, and I hope you enjoy parceling through them. Each review will consist of each track on the album's title, a letter grade to accompany each track, and my short review of each track on the album. At the end, I will arrive at a verdict of whether or not I recommend the album to you, and select my top picks from the album. My overall grade for the album will be featured at the beginning of the review, on the image of the album cover. So, without further adieu, here is my review of Ed Sheeran's No.6 Collaborations Project. I hope that you enjoy, and I would love to see what you think down in the comments.

Track #1: Beautiful People (feat. Khalid)
Grade: A-

Beautiful People is a classic example of what I like to hear from Ed Sheeran. It harnesses his normal pop aesthetic, and by putting Khalid on this track that aesthetic becomes emphasized tenfold. His lyrical skills are showcased rather impeccably here, and it becomes hard not to find something to like in this song given Sheeran and Khalid's vocal abilities as they sing about "beautiful people". All in all, this gave me a nice welcome feel to the album, and was the perfect choice for the album's opener.


Track #2: South Of The Border (feat. Camila Cabello & Cardi B)
Grade: A

This track has the kind of vibe that I was expecting going into it. It is very reminiscent of Sheeran's very popular Shape Of You. There is quite a sensual vibe here, while aiming to keep it true to a traditional pop hit. Ed Sheeran has nice and controlled vocals here that compliment Camila Cabello's vocals rather nicely. Camila Cabello and Cardi B both deliver excellent verses that fit the structure of the tune rather nicely. I can definitely say without question that this is a stand-out track all around with its nice infectious and spiritual pop vibe.



Track #3: Cross Me (feat. Chance The Rapper & PnB Rock)
Grade: C+

Cross Me has presented me with a fluctuating set of opinions on the song. At one moment, I enjoy this R&B song and find it rather catchy and at another I can easily spot its flaws and find it rather annoying. At this point, I'll say that this one is somewhere in the middle. While this can prove to be good at times, Sheeran's vocals aren't top-notch here and Chance The Rapper and PnB Rock honestly deliver some fairly average features. So, in the end, I gather that this track is truly nothing special.



Track #4: Take Me Back To London (feat. Stormzy)
Grade: C+

I suppose I somewhat enjoy the energy in this song, but overall Take Me Back To London is nothing amazing. Sure, it proves to be pretty catchy, but underneath there isn't a whole lot there. Both Sheeran and Stormzy rap about being famous, and at often times their offerings can sound boastful and braggy. In the end, I enjoy the production and appreciate the energy on this track. However, the vocal offerings and lyrics leave a little bit to be desired.


Track #5: Best Part Of Me (feat. YEBBA)
Grade: B-

While I do appreciate a good slow song and ballad as much as the next guy, this fifth track really doesn't live up to all of my expectations. The background music and sounds here are nice, which is about the only part of the song that was extremely solid. Here, Sheeran and newcomer YEBBA sing on all their insecurities and how those insecurities have shaped their views on love. However, about two minutes into Best Part Of Me, I kind of grew tired of the song. Sure, it is able to offer its sweet moments, but it felt too long and dragged out. Four minutes is a lot longer than you think. But, I don't know, this one could be a grower.


Track #6: I Don't Care (with Justin Bieber)
Grade: B

I Don't Care has been around for a while now, so I'm not going to spend too much time on this one. This song is pretty much the average pop song. I have gone in and out of absolutely enjoying this song to feeling as if it was a chore to go and listen to it. I am able to appreciate the vocals on this track and the aims they had with this one. However, everything here kind of just blends together with so many other things we have heard in this decade of music.


Track #7: Antisocial (with Travis Scott)
Grade: C

Next up is Antisocial with Travis Scott...and I thought it was pretty subpar. Ed Sheeran showcases his rapping skills more prominently here, and with Travis Scott also rapping on this track, the overall trap influence here feels a little bit too weighty. I suppose the chorus is the best part of this song, as I can certainly envision it being stuck in my head. But, that is about it with this one. While it certainly shows a different side of Sheeran, this one isn't as good as what you would think.


Track #8: Remember The Name (feat. Eminem & 50 Cent)
Grade: F

It honestly pained me to sit through the entirety of this song, let alone ten seconds of it. This is probably the worst I have ever heard from Ed Sheeran. While I thoroughly enjoyed the Sheeran-Eminem collaboration from 2017 in the form of River--Remember The Name is completely awful. All three artists on this track sound terrible. I understand the retro vibes that they were going for here, but the overall musical infidelity featured in this song distracts me from focusing on the throwback aims. The production here is very staggered and not cohesive at all. It feels as if this clanger was thrown together at last minute--if only for the reason to satisfy Sheeran's bizarre dream of collaborating with both Eminem and 50 Cent on the same track.


Track #9: Feels (feat. Young Thug & J Hus)
Grade: C-

Yeah, this one kind of sucked too. It is certainly better than Remember The Name. However, Sheeran is really the only part of this song that actually sounds good. I could do without the offerings of Young Thug and J Hus. They feel as if they are unnecessary additions to a track that could have been good as a solo prop track with some tweaking. I do also enjoy the production here, but not enough to bump this song up to an average grade of a "C".


Track #10: Put It All On Me (feat. Ella Mai)
Grade: A

Both Sheeran and collaborator Ella Mai sound terrific here. Put It All On Me is a very satisfying R&B duet. I enjoy how the chorus is primarily sung in Sheeran's falsetto and how Ella Mai delivers her angelic R&B voice with grace. The production here makes this one sound very dreamy and as if you're in a dream state when listening to it. The piano is a very nice addition as well. Overall, there really isn't anything wrong with this track. It is one of this album's few strong points. 


Track #11: Nothing On You (feat. Paulo Londra & Dave)
Grade: C-

I suppose this one is alright. Well, if we are speaking on Sheeran's part. Once again, this is a track that could have been good as a solo offering. I don't really understand the necessity of having Paulo Londra and Dave on this song. The featuring of those two on this track have made it much less enjoyable. However, because Sheeran has a nice sound here, I was able to somewhat enjoy it. I also enjoy the solid beat on this song. But, this is nothing I will go out of my way to listen to.


Track #12: I Don't Want Your Money (feat. H.E.R.)
Grade: A-

H.E.R.'s vocal offerings and overall presence of confidence on this track are easily its highest points. While Sheeran also sounds okay here, H.E.R. is the strongest point on I Don't Want Your Money. The lyrical offerings here are also worth a mention, as they speak on the importance of time over money when it comes to balancing relationships in real life. The instrumentals here are also very flashy and add to the song's overall maximum level of confidence. And while all signs point to yes with this song, the only thing that is holding it back is Sheeran's inability to fully reach his true vocal potential. 


Track #13: 1000 Nights (feat. Meek Mill & Boogie Wit Da Hoodie)
Grade: D-

This song sucks...except for the average vocal offerings from Ed Sheeran. Both Meek Mill and Boogie Wit Da Hoodie sound awful here and structurally don't really fit into this song. To make it even worse, this song really has no meaning lyrically other than inadvertently complaining about the efforts of being on tour. The production here leaves a little too much to be desired as well. Overall 1000 Nights is nothing more than a meaningless, structureless album filler.


Track #14: Way To Break My Heart (feat. Skrillex)
Grade: A-

I like this one. It is a nice love-inspired tune with good offerings from Skrillex. The melody here is excellent and Sheeran has the perfect vocal tone to deliver it (and all other parts of this song for that matter). I really don't have much else to say about this one, except for the fact that it was put together rather nicely. Way To Break My Heart is a winner in my book.


Track #15: Blow (with Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars)
Grade: B

Blow is certainly something unlike anything we've ever heard from Ed Sheeran (and both collaborators for that matter). It is certainly a stand-out track on this album and it is certainly able to grab my attention. The guitar here is certainly my favorite part of the song. It showcases the undeniable rock-influenced energy on this track. What I don't like here is the meaningless lyrics that are hidden behind a rather boring chorus. Some parts of this song also blur together, which make it a little messy. But, overall, all three artists sound fantastic here and Blow could certainly be a song that could grow on me over many more listens. We will just have to see.



The Verdict: Despite its numerous flaws, No.6 Collaborations Project is a slightly above average offering. Sheeran attempts to crossover into many genres here. At some points it works, and at others it does not. Although it is admirable to see his adventurous spirit on this album, many of his offerings here are simply below the mark. All in all, No.6 Collaborations Project is a blur of failed authenticity and boringness that only breaks apart for a few tracks in within the album's course.


High Points: 
  1. Beautiful People (feat. Khalid)
  2. South Of The Border (feat. Camila Cabello & Cardi B)
  3. Put It All On Me (feat. Ella Mai)
  4. I Don't Want Your Money (feat. H.E.R.)
  5. Way To Break My Heart (feat. Skrillex)

Acceptable Work:

  1. Best Part Of Me (feat. YEBBA)
  2. I Don't Care (feat. Justin Bieber)
  3. Blow (with Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars)

Needs Improvement:
  1. Cross Me (feat. Chance The Rapper & PnB Rock)
  2. Take Me Back To London (feat. Stormzy)
  3. Antisocial (feat. Travis Scott)
  4. Feels (feat. Young Thug & J Hus)
  5. Nothing On You (feat. Paulo Londra & Dave)

Don't Even Bother:
  1. Remember The Name (feat. Eminem & 50 Cent)
  2. 1000 Nights (feat. Meek Mill & Boogie Wit Da Hoodie)

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to leave me suggestions to any albums or EPs you would like to see me review down in the comments below. I would like to review about two albums or EPs between now and the time Lover surfaces. I would like to keep the suggestions fairly recent (within the past year). The suggestions could consist of popular artists on the music scene or artists that you would like me to check out. :)

~ Jack :)              

No comments:

Post a Comment

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...