Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Shawn Mendes (4) - Week Of August 3, 2019














Hey guys! I hope that you have all had a fantastic week! I also hope that you all had the chance to view my special post this past week. I reviewed Ed Sheeran's No.6 Collaborations Project. I hope that you enjoyed that post. My second album review has already been selected and may even be released this week. So stay on the look out for that. But, anyways, let's get into this week's countdown. Before we get to this week's fresh 45, here is the song leaving us this week.
  • Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Taylor Swift - Delicate
Last Week's #1 Song: The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love

The Countdown
45. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#44)
44. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#41)
43. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#42) [2 Weeks At #1]
42. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#43)
41. Push Baby - Mama's House (#36)
40. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#40)
39. Bazzi - Paradise (#39)
38. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#38)
37. Martin Garrix/Macklemore/Patrick Stump - Summer Days (#37)
36. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#35) [8 Weeks At #1]
35. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#34) [7 Weeks At #1]
34. AJR - 100 Bad Days (DEBUT)
33. P!nk - Hustle (#30)
32. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#29)
31. Public - Make You Mine (#33)
30. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME! (#28)
29. Halsey - Without Me (#27) [5 Weeks At #1]
28. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#24)
27. Blanco Brown - The Git Up (#31)
26. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#26)
25. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You (#32)
24. Post Malone - Goodbyes (#23) 
23. Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me (#18)
22. Lizzo - Truth Hurts (#25)
21. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (#15)
20. Katy Perry - Never Really Over (#19)
19. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#8)
18. Khalid - Talk (#10)
17. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#16)
16. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (#20)
15. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine (#21)
14. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#22)
13. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita (#15)
12. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care (#6)
11. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier (#9)
10. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy (#12)
9. Jonas Brothers - Cool (#13)
8. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#7)
7. Ava Max - So Am I (#14)
6. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#2) [3 Weeks At #1]
5. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#1) [2 Weeks At #1]
4. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down (#17)
3. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#5) [13 Weeks At #1]
2. Halsey - Nightmare (#4)
1. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (#3) [4th Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (-11)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down (+13)

Spotlight Of The Week: Avril Lavigne - I Fell In Love With The Devil


New Entrants

~ The only song that we get this week is 100 Bad Days from AJR. At first, I somewhat enjoyed this song, but that quickly changed. This one does not hold up well. I soon realized that this song was pretty heavily flawed. The production here isn't the worst, but their voices aren't that tolerable at all. The lyrical content is kind of weird as I had come to realize and it really is just poorly structured. However, this is pretty much always the drill when it comes to my opinions on these guys' songs. I like them at first, but pretty quickly grow sick of them. They don't normally last long here either, so I'm not too concerned. I'm just a little annoyed that out of all the good songs on Hit-Bound right now, we just received a space filler.




Hit-Bound
  • Dominic Fike - 3 Nights
  • OneRepublic - Rescue Me
  • Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
  • Ellie Goulding & Juice WRLD - Hate Me
  • Stephen Puth - Look Away
  • Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?
  • Jonas Brothers - Only Human
  • SHAED - Trampoline
  • Jax Jonas & Bebe Rexha - Harder
  • Taylor Swift - The Archer (DEBUT)
  • Thomas Rhett - Look What God Gave Her
  • Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
  • Ed Sheeran/Khalid - Beautiful People (DEBUT)
  • Asher Angel - One Thought Away
  • Zara Larsson - All The Time
~ Our first Hit-Bound debut this week is from none other than Taylor Swift with The Archer. This is probably the most vocally sound song that has been released this era thus far. However, I still very much like ME!, so I'm not sure how to feel about this song in comparison with that one. I do know that this one is a step up from You Need To Calm Down, though, which was certainly not her best work. I have heard people comparing this song to her lyrical, vocal, and emotional masterpiece known as All Too Well (which is quite possibly her best song ever). I say that The Archer is certainly a very vocally sound and lyrically sound track. It has a similar emotion, but it in no way tops some of her more emotional songs. However, this poses a very promising sound of what we will hear from Taylor's new album--which will be released in just a few short weeks.

~ The other Hit-Bound debut this week comes from Ed Sheeran (once again) and Khalid with Beautiful People. I like this song. Both artists sound good on this track and the production is pretty good as well. This is pretty much a standard Ed Sheeran track and this is what I like to hear from him. Lyrics, vocals, and production here are all good. I would like to see this one debut on the countdown.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
2. Taylor Swift - The Archer
3. Jonas Brothers - Only Human
4. Thomas Rhett - Look What God Gave Her
5. Ed Sheeran/Khalid - Beautiful People


100 Bad Blurbs (not really...I hope...)

~ I am very happy that Shawn Mendes has reclaimed the #1 spot with I Can't Have You. I would much rather have this one be #1 at this point over Who Do You Love.

~ You Need To Calm Down has made a pretty significant leap this week. I am guessing that this will be pretty much follow the same routine as Someone You Loved's big jump a couple of weeks ago. This jump was pretty random, so I'm really just not seeing it lasting long.

~ I'm not really sure why So Am I had to jump in the top 10. For weeks and weeks, this song just remained in the 20's. I don't understand why all of a sudden this song is in the top 10. It is completely irrelevant. Ava Max did not make it big with this song. It is absolutely nowhere near as popular as Sweet But Psycho was, so I'm not really understanding why we're giving it all this attention.

~ All I have to say is that #25 to #32 (with the exception of the incredibly wholly superior ME!) was an incredibly painful listen. Yet another indication of the ridiculous amount of clutter on this countdown.

~ As far as our exit this week, I am happy that 7 Rings has finally left. It has been in the bottom 5 of this countdown for far too long. It is very disappointing that we had to get another bad song in its place, but whatever.

~ Personal Chart (8/3/2019): http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/jacks-top-50-4


Let's Do A Top 20 Review! 

0-Garbage
20. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
19. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
18. Ava Max - So Am I 

1-Bad
17. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
16. Jonas Brothers - Cool
15. Khalid - Talk 

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
14. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
13. Halsey - Nightmare
12. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
11. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less 

4-Good
10. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
9. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier
8. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
7. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy 

5-Great
6. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me
5. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
4. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
3. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
2. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
1. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down

Score: 61% (D-)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Blanco Brown - The Git Up
2. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You
5. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!
2. Post Malone - Goodbyes
3. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
4. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
5. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita

Thanks for reading!

~ Jack :)     

2 comments:

  1. You notice how we're about to hear High Hopes twice in one countdown? I'm not too excited for that... #36 and #1 1 year ago.. oh god

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...