Sunday, March 24, 2019

Panic! At The Disco (3) - Week Of March 23, 2019














Hey guys! It was definitely more interesting week in the countdown world, considering that we got a class of seven debuts this week, even if it was the least-qualified candidates that were on Hit-Bound last week--with one exception. Anyways, before we get into it this week, here is a list of songs that we are saying goodbye to.
  • Avril Lavigne - Tell Me It's Over (#30)
  • Lauren Daigle - You Say (#35)
  • Stephen Puth - Sexual Vibe (#38)
  • Seeb & Bastille - Grip (#39)
  • George Ezra - Shotgun (#41)
  • Jennifer Lopez - Limitless (#42)
  • lovelytheband - Broken (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey - The Middle
Last Week's #1 Song: Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It

The Countdown
45. Charlie Puth - The Way I Am (#43)
44. Bebe Rexha - I'm A Mess (#45)
43. Backstreet Boys - Don't Go Breaking My Heart (#44)
42. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies (#34)
41. Maroon 5/Cardi B - Girls Like You (#37)
40. Post Malone - Wow. (#36)
39. Kelsy Karter - Harry (DEBUT)
38. Zedd & Katy Perry - 365 (#32)
37. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow (RE-ENTRY)
36. Madison Beer - Hurts Like Hell (DEBUT)
35. LSD/Lil Wayne - Genius (DEBUT)
34. Sabrina Carpenter - Sue Me (#23)
33. Imagine Dragons - Natural (#33) [1 Week At #1]
32. Maren Morris - Girl (DEBUT)
31. Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me (#31)
30. Meghan Trainor - All The Ways (DEBUT)
29. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen/Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting (#28)
28. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (#26)
27. Jake Miller - Wait For You (#29)
26. Grandson - Apologize (#25)
25. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood (#27) [5 Weeks At #1]
24. Khalid - Better (#24)
23. YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes (DEBUT)
22. Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower (#16)
21. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#22)
20. Anne-Marie - 2002 (#21)
19. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#17)
18. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired... (#19)
17. Kelsea Ballerini - Miss Me More (#18)
16. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#20)
15. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#12)
14. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#13)
13. Benny Blanco, Halsey, & Khalid - Eastside (#14)
12. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#11)
11. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#4)
10. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#9) [8 Weeks At #1]
9. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#10)
8. Dean Lewis - Be Alright (#15)
7. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#6) [7 Weeks At #1]
6. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#3) [2 Weeks At #1]
5. Halsey - Without Me (#2) [5 Weeks At #1]
4. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#5)
3. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#8)
2. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#7)
1. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#1) [3rd Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Sabrina Carpenter - Sue Me (-11)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Dean Lewis - Be Alright (+7)

#1 Recommendation Of The Week: Camila Mendes - Lifeboat


New Entrants

~ First up this week on our daunting list of debuts, we have Kelsy Karter with Harry. This song is not good. Her voice is grating as all hell and the lyrical content is childish and stupid. I was really hoping that we wouldn't see this on the countdown, but unfortunately we did. The good news is that I don't see it going too far on the countdown, but time will tell with that. It will probably just sit in the bottom 5 for weeks upon weeks, unnecessarily filling up space.

~ Next up, after the refreshing return of Shallow from Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, we have Madison Beer with Hurts Like Hell. I had initially not been a huge fan of this song, but after a few listens I grew to like it. However, now I have returned back to my initial feelings on the song. It is just okay. Her voice isn't anything that unique and the production here is kind of weird. So, needless to say, at this point, I really wouldn't care the level of success this song has here.

~ LSD is next with their song that has been around for quite some time now, which is Genius. However, it is now getting some attention due to the more recent remix of the song with Lil Wayne, which is what debuted here this week. Genius is LSD's best song, but I don't care as much for the remix as I do for the original. Lil Wayne adds a rather unpleasant verse here that notches the song down a rank on its level of goodness in my eyes. However, Labrinth and Sia both deliver up nice vocals, so the song isn't bad by any means.

~ Maren Morris has just released her newest album, and we receive the lead single, Girl, as a debut to the countdown this week. My experience with her music hasn't been very great. I recognized her talent on songs like My Church and 80s Mercedes. However, Girl harnesses the similar feelings that I had towards one of her previous singles, Rich. Her vocals here are underwhelming and the concepts of the song seem pretty cut and paste. I feel like she is trying to go mainstream by making bland and generic content, which is not working for her in my opinion. I hope that this song doesn't last long and doesn't get bigger anywhere else. 

~ Next is another song that has been around for quite some time now. This week we have Meghan Trainor bringing us All The Ways. This is yet another example of why this girl needs to stop singing. She is awful. The only single that I have truly ever liked from her was Dear Future Husband. Everything else was just boring and lazy pop. However, All The Ways is nowhere near her least-appealing song to me, given the crap we have got in the forms of All About That Bass, No, No Excuses, Let You Be Right, etc., but it is still pretty bad. This song is incredibly generic, and her voice is the same thing that we usually hear. I am just hoping that this song doesn't last too long here.

~ Finally, with the only truly good addition we get to the countdown this week (aside from the re-entrance of Shallow), we have 11 Minutes from YUNGBLUD and Halsey with Travis Barker. I have really been drawn into the uniqueness and innovative sound of this song. Both YUNGBLUD and Halsey deliver superb vocals that are reminiscent of a traditional "sad" love ballad that we used to hear a little more in the 2000's. That is what I like about this song, it is reminiscent of older eras of music, while still being attached to the present era of music. In addition, Travis Barker makes a nice addition to the song, and I like what he has to contribute instrumentally. I am hoping that this song continues to rise on radio, and do well here, but it is looking that it has a promising run here, considering that it debuted all the way up at #23.

Best New Entrant Of The Week: YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes

Entrant Rankings:
  1. YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes
  2. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow
  3. LSD/Lil Wayne - Genius
  4. Madison Beer - Hurts Like Hell
  5. Maren Morris - Girl
  6. Meghan Trainor - All The Ways
  7. Kelsy Karter - Harry 

Hit-Bound
  • Ally Brooke - Low Key
  • P!nk - Walk Me Home
  • Austin Brown - In Betweenin'
  • Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (DEBUT)
  • Fletcher - Undrunk
  • lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid
  • Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
  • Kygo/Valerie Broussard - Think About You
  • Avril Lavigne/Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde
  • Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
  • Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us
  • Ava Max - So Am I (DEBUT)
  • Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
  • Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
  • NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close
~ The first of our two debuts to Hit-Bound this week comes from a (almost) carbon copy of Marshmello's most recent hit, Happier, featuring CHVRCHES. However, we receive vocals from Lauren Mayberry this time around, rather than Dan Smith. She does a nice job here, like she usually does. As for the production, it is pretty much the same as what we heard on Happier. So, not much that is super original here, but I am glad that CHVRCHES will have a little more recognition when this song inevitably becomes huge.

~ Next up, we have Ava Max with So Am I. This song is very similar to Sweet But Psycho in terms of the beat and overall production. The vocal content here is nice, just like it is in Sweet But Psycho. I don't know if this song will get huge, but I am okay with it if we have a Sweet But Psycho 2.0. More on this if it debuts.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
2. Avril Lavigne/Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde
3. Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us
4. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close
5. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored


All The Blurbs

~ We see a continuity of Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It at the #1 spot for a third week in a row. This is okay with me, but I am hoping that we see Sucker snatch that spot next week.

~ Dean Lewis - Be Alright soared into the top 10 this week. At this point, I would have preferred if this occurred at an earlier date, because I am getting kind of sick of this song. But, I can live with it, as long as Tequila is kept out of the top 10.

~ It is kind of disappointing that Who Do You Love hasn't hit the top 10 yet, but that is most likely due to the fact that This Feeling is still in the top 10. I would prefer if the two of them swapped spots at this point, considering that we have a few too many "meh" songs in the top 10 right now.

~ Every week I forget that Khalid - Better is still here. It has kind of been dormant for most of its countdown tenure. The song has primarily stayed around the #24 spot, kind of like Lauren Jauregui - Expectations did while it was here.

~ Zedd & Katy Perry - 365 and Post Malone - Wow. both look like they are not going to get anywhere at this point. The latter I really don't care about, but the former is a song that I wish had more success all-around. It is too underrated.

~ At this point, I am pretty annoyed by the fact that Don't Go Breaking My Heart is still here, filling up an unnecessary spot when this song wasn't even that big. In addition, I am kind of pissed that The Way I Am is still here, and that Sexual Vibe left before this song. Stephen Puth did much better than his brother on that song.

~ As far as the exits go, I am glad that Broken and Shotgun have finally left. They were here for too long. I am also glad that Limitless has left, considering that it was taking up an unnecessary spot, and that the song never made it above the #40 mark the entire time that it was here. Grip really didn't do much, and it was pretty generic, so I am glad about that departure as well. I am sad to see You Say and Sexual Vibe go, but I didn't really see them lasting much longer here. Finally, the biggest loss we have this week is Tell Me It's Over. That song was extremely underrated on all counts and it is sad that Avril Lavigne didn't notch a hit with this song. The title was surely deserved.

Personal Chart For This Week: http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/hot-45-chart-97


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
20. Dan + Shay - Tequila

1-Bad
19. Anne-Marie - 2002
18. Benny Blanco, Halsey, & Khalid - Eastside
17. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine 

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
16. Dean Lewis - Be Alright
15. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me 

4-Good
14. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
13. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling
12. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
11. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
10. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings 

5-Great
9. Kelsea Ballerini - Miss Me More
8. Halsey - Without Me
7. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
6. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
5. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar
4. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
3. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...
2. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker

Score: 74% (C)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Dan + Shay - Tequila
2. Kelsy Karter - Harry
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Meghan Trainor - All The Ways
5. Charlie Puth - The Way I Am

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
2. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
3. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...
4. YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes
5. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen - I've Been Waiting

Thanks for reading! Have a great week!

~ Jack :)

8 comments:

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...