Monday, January 15, 2018

Ed Sheeran (2) - Week Of January 13, 2018

_a72d3f44-cc24-11e7-8cd0-7e09bc26593d.jpg (960×540)
Hey guys! I am sorry that I have been taking a little long on this last post for the end of the year. I promise that it will be out as soon as possible. This countdown brought a few shake-ups with things, but I have mixed feelings about it. Anyways, before we get to this week's countdown. Here's the songs that we are saying goodbye to this week.

  • Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#27) [3 Weeks At #1] {DTHNOBx2}
  • Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato - No Promises (#38)
  • Macklemore/Skylar Grey - Glorious (#43)

Last Week's #1 Song: Imagine Dragons - Thunder
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know

The Countdown
45. Harry Styles - Kiwi (#41)
44. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do (#42)
43. MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low (#45)
42. Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay (#36) [4 Weeks At #1]
41. The Shadowboxers - Hot Damn (#30)
40. Charlie Puth - Attention (#43) [1 Week At #1]
39. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#44) [9 Weeks At #1]
38. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#35) [3 Weeks At #1]
37. P!nk - What About Us (#31) [1 Week At #1]
36. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (#32) [2 Weeks At #1]
35. Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It? (#22)
34. Louis Tomlinson - Miss You (#36)
33. Kesha - Praying (#26)
32. Zayn/Sia - Dusk Till Dawn (#21)
31. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (#11) [4 Weeks At #1]
30. Bruno Mars/Cardi B - Finesse [Remix] (DEBUT)
29. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#29) [5 Weeks At #1]
28. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (#28)
27. Symon - Lonely Girl (#39)
26. Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor (#24)
25. Walk The Moon - One Foot (#18)
24. Justin Timberlake - Filthy (DEBUT)
23. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (#24)
22. Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Future - End Game (#34)
21. X Ambassadors - Ahead Of Myself (#20)
20. G-Eazy & Halsey - Him & I (DEBUT)
19. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Tight Or Don't (#33)
18. Lauv - I Like Me Better (#23)
17. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#16) [3 Weeks At #1]
16. Post Malone/21 Savage - Rockstar (#8)
15. Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do (#6)
14. Eminem/Ed Sheeran - River (#19)
13. Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes (#13)
12. Dua Lipa - New Rules (#12)
11. Niall Horan - Too Much To Ask (#15)
10. Macklemore/Kesha - Good Old Days (#14)
9. Charlie Puth - How Long (#7)
8. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves (#10)
7. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft (#9)
6. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be (#17)
5. Camila Cabello - Havana (#4) [1 Week At #1]
4. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt - Let Me Go (#5)
3. Imagine Dragons - Thunder (#1) [3 Weeks At #1]
2. Halsey - Bad At Love (#2) [2 Weeks At #1]
1. Ed Sheeran - Perfect (#3) [2nd Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (-20)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Tight Or Don't (+14)

#1 Recommendation Of The Week: Troye Sivan - My My My!


New Entrants

~ Our first entrant this week comes from Bruno Mars with his best single off of 24K Magic yet. Chunky was just bad, as was Versace On The Floor. 24K Magic was also pretty bad, and That's What I Like grew old on me very fast. I am glad that a decent single was released off of this album. Finesse took me a few listens to actually start truly enjoying, but it is really just a fun song with a lot going on. Cardi B actually sounds pretty good here, unlike how she sounds in her other songs. I mean, for sure, the lyrical content in this song lacks something to be desired, but it's not bad at all. The beat is really fun too, and it's just one of those songs that you can't help but dance to. I hope it does well here.

~ As I'm sure we all know by now, Justin Timberlake is performing at this year's Super Bowl during halftime. He makes a debut this week with Filthy, the lead single off of his upcoming album, Man Of The Woods. This song was really just a lot different than anything I have ever listened to from him. I am not surprised that he took a risk with this one, though. His music does have a lot of variation. I don't know if this song is going to contrast to the rest of the songs on the album, but we'll have to wait an see. I mean, the production for this song is pretty funky, and it is definitely one of the first things I noticed when listening to this last week. His vocals are okay, but definitely not the best I have ever heard from him. This definitely in no means his best song, but it is a grower. It may take me a few more listens to really get this song in green for me. It debuted fairly high, so I assume that it will do pretty well here.

~ Our final debut this week comes from G-Eazy and Halsey in the form of Him & I. This song has such a dark vibe, and I feel like it really fits both of these artists really well. Their collaboration is very nice, in other words, and I really feel the love between them. I like how they really make us believe their love story, as they are dating. The vocals are on point for Halsey and G-Eazy has some nice verses. The song was well put together. I just hope it doesn't flop, because it is really good. I want to see this become pretty big, but we'll have to wait and see on that. 

Best Debut Of The Week: G-Eazy & Halsey - Him & I


Hit-Bound
  • Sofi Tukker/NERVO/The Knocks/Alisa Ueno - Best Friend
  • P!nk - Beautiful Trauma
  • Alan Walker/Noah Cyrus/Digital Farm Animals - All Falls Down
  • Clean Bandit/Julia Michaels - I Miss You
  • AJR/Rivers Cuomo - Sober Up
  • Maroon 5 - Wait
  • Kesha/The Dap-Kings Horns - Woman (DEBUT)
  • Spencer - Whatever
  • All Time Low - Last Young Renegade
  • Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes 
  • NF - Let You Down
  • Troye Sivan - My My My! (DEBUT)
  • Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
  • WOLVES - Animal
My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
2. Clean Bandit/Julia Michaels - I Miss You
3. Maroon 5 - Wait
4. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma
5. Troye Sivan - My My My!


Him & Blurbs

~ Ed Sheeran - Perfect returns to the top spot this week, and I am very happy about this. It is one of his three songs that are in my personal top 5 on this countdown. I would prefer this or Havana at #1, as they are both tied for my favorite song here at the moment. I am just so glad this song is getting the success it deserves. 

~ We also garnered two new top 10 entrants this week with Meant To Be and Good Old Days. I am glad that the latter has made it this far, as I was not expecting it to go this far. Meant To Be is just getting a little less interesting at this point. I certainly don't mind that it is here, but it's just okay, so I really have no reaction to its entry.

~ With our two new entrants, we got rid of Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do, which is okay, I guess. I don't really mind all that much at this point. We also thankfully got rid of Post Malone/21 Savage - Rockstar from the top 10. I don't even know what that was, but I am glad that it is over. 

~ I personally think that the top 20 is just not getting cleared up at all. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Tight Or Don't entered blasted all the way to #19 this week. I seriously don't understand all of the appeal to this song. I just really hope that this is as far as this song goes, but knowing Hits 1's love of Fall Out Boy, I seriously doubt that.

~ Thankfully End Game is edging closer to the top 20, so I hope we can see this one swap out with one of the bad songs for next week. This is one of the best songs here at the moment. 

~ Symon - Lonely Girl surprisingly made a jump above #30 this week, just when I thought that this song was just going to be a flop. Still, this song is nothing special at all. It's not good, or bad, it's just meh. I just feel like this one is more of a space-filler, but I really don't care all that much about how it does at this point.

~ We finally saw a massive drop from Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl. This was just one of the most bland songs I have ever heard from him. I just am ready for this one to leave at this point.

~ Sadly, Zayn/Sia - Dusk Till Dawn and Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It? seem to be reaching the end of their countdown tenures, due to their pretty big drops this week. The former especially did not last long enough. I just hope that they stick on just a little bit longer.

~ Hot Damn is (not surprisingly) in the bottom 5 of the countdown at this point. I really was just glad that this song was here. It was good while it lasted.

~ The Hot 45 Chart for this week has been released! If you would like to catch up on that, then head on right over here after this post: http://hotfortyfive.blogspot.com/2018/01/week-of-january-13-2018.html


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
20. Imagine Dragons - Believer
19. Post Malone/21 Savage - Rockstar
18. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Tight Or Don't

1-Bad
NONE

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
17. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
16. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft

4-Good
15. Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
14. Dua Lipa - New Rules
13. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be

5-Great
12. Charlie Puth - How Long
11. Niall Horan - Too Much To Ask
10. Lauv - I Like Me Better
9. Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do
8. Halsey - Bad At Love
7. Macklemore/Kesha - Good Old Days
6. X Ambassadors - Ahead Of Myself
5. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves
4. G-Eazy & Halsey - Him & I
3. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt - Let Me Go  
1. TIE: Camila Cabello - Havana
1. TIE: Ed Sheeran - Perfect

Score: 78% (C+)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Imagine Dragons - Believer
2. Liam Payne - Strip That Down
3. Post Malone/21 Savage - Rockstar
4. Fall Out Boy - Hold Me Tight Or Don't
5. Niall Horan - Slow Hands

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. TIE: Ed Sheeran - Perfect
1. TIE: Camila Cabello - Havana
3. Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Future - End Game
4. Eminem/Ed Sheeran - River
5. Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It?

Thanks for reading guys!

~ Jack :)




11 comments:

  1. So basically everyone (You and the others on the sidebar) got their posts done early? Sweet! Nice post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect by Ed Sheeran being in purple was quite an unexpected move if I do say so myself.

    And good news for you: it's now spending its sixth week at #1 on Billboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, just to let you know that the deadline to submit your list for the rankdown is this Friday. Here's the link:

    http://countdownguyblog.blogspot.com/p/2017-hits-1-ye-rankdown.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: NF - No Name

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...