Saturday, January 6, 2018

A Year-End Special: My Top 45 Songs Of 2017

Well, we've made it everyone! We are now officially living in 2018! I hope you all have a great year ahead of you, but we still have to live in 2017 for this post. So, 2017 was definitely a year with more rap-dominating music. I cannot tell whether I personally find it better than the previous year. There were a lot of bad songs towards the upper part of the charts this year, but there were still some good ones that everyone thankfully seemed to like as well. With that set aside, I will now be counting down my favorite 45 songs of this past year. This list is always put together with the 45 songs that stood out to me the most during the course of the year. However, before we get to counting down my personal favorites of 2017, there are a few things that you must be informed of in order to know what is going on here.

Songs that were on the Hits 1 Weekend Countdown at any point in time this year for at least one week are the only songs eligible for this list. Any songs that were on Hit-Bound or the YouTube 15, or any other Hits 1 show and didn't debut the countdown are unfortunately not eligible for the list.

Any songs that I ranked in previous years are also not eligible for this year's list. This prevents any repeats that could potentially be taking up a new songs spot. There will always be a set of 45 new songs every year.

Songs that debuted after the week of December 9, 2017 are unfortunately not eligible for this list as well. The final songs that were considered for eligibility this year were:
  • Harry Styles - Kiwi
  • Nick Jonas - Find You
  • X Ambassadors - Ahead Of Myself
The songs that debuted after the cutoff date and are not eligible will be looked at first for consideration for 2018. Those songs are as follows:
  • Macklemore/Kesha - Good Old Days
  • Symon - Lonely Girl
  • Eminem/Ed Sheeran - River
  • Liam Payne - Bedrolm Floor
  • Louis Tomlinson - Miss You
  • Walk The Moon - One Foot

Now that we have covered everything. I would like to go through the honorable mentions for this list. The following songs were ones that came very close to the list, but ultimately did not make the cut for this year's list.
  • Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be
  • Charli XCX - After The Afterparty
  • Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie - Rockabye
  • Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
  • Fifth Harmony & Camila Cabello - That's My Girl
  • Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap
  • Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls
  • Harry Styles - Kiwi
  • Lauv - I Like Me Better
  • Mono Mind - Save Me A Place [Bridge & Mountain Remix]
  • Niall Horan - Too Much To Ask
  • Nick Jonas - Find You
  • Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves
  • Shawn Mendes - Mercy
  • Snakehips & MØ - Don't Leave
  • The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This
  • The Shadowboxers - Hot Damn
  • X Ambassadors - Ahead Of Myself
A good amount of the songs listed above could appear on next year's list, as there are several that are still on the countdown. Now, one more thing before we get to the countdown. Let's take a look at my top 5 songs from 2016.

5. Fifth Harmony & Camila Cabello - Work From Home
4. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer
3. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
2. Taylor Swift - New Romantics
1. Ariana Grande - Into You
Ariana_Grande_-_Into_You.jpg (960×534)

With that all out of the way, I think we are ready for the moment you have all been waiting for! These are my top 45 songs of 2017. They are not yours. So, please keep this free of arguments if you do not agree with my picks. I say this every year and you all are usually very respectful. Thank you, and here we go.


45. AJR - Weak
ajr.jpg (744×406)
I believe I am one of the only people in this community that actually enjoyed this song. AJR has been one of those bands that have been up and down for me. Weak was easily their best song. Their other songs that made it big on Hits 1, like I'm Not Famous and I'm Ready were just okay. They really didn't stand out to me at all. I just felt like they took a bigger step forward with this one. The vocals were very good throughout and I like the risk they took with the key change in the final chorus. In all, it turned out a good song, and it just barely made this list. 


44. Camila Cabello - Crying In The Club
camila-cabello--1498661822-list-handheld-0.png (640×360)
I am so glad that Camila Cabello decided to go on in her career as a solo artist. At first, I was very disappointed in her decision to leave Fifth Harmony, as she was a very valuable voice to the group. However, her solo work turned out much better this year. Crying In The Club was the first song that she released this year, where she went fully solo. I would say that it was a very good beginning to her career as a solo artist. I like how she brought in this dynamic of heartbreak into the song, and how music helps her overcome it. The song was well produced as well. All in all, it was another outstanding debut as an artist. I cannot wait to see how much further she goes after the amazing year she had this year. 


43. Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love
martin-garrix-instagram-1471426900-list-handheld-0.png (640×360)
This is one of those songs that I could have easily ranked in 2016, but I decided not to, as I thought that it would have more success in 2017. However, it did not have huge success this past year, and was actually more successful last year. I could rank it this year because it was on the countdown towards the beginning of this past year. All set aside, I just find this a good song. The production of this song is very good, and I find it nice that Hits 1 recognizes Martin Garrix, as he does have very well produced tracks. Bebe Rexha, as usual delivers fantastic vocals to this track and she does an exceptional job in the chorus. I am just glad that this song was successful here, even though it received less recognition outside of this station.


42. Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do
maroon_5_sugar_clip_2015_99560_1920x1080.jpg (1920×1080)
So, Maroon 5 did make their small comeback in 2016, after a little while without releasing new music. They released Don't Wanna Know, which was just pretty mediocre in the end. They also put out another song, Cold, and that song was on my bottom 10 songs this year. So, we know how I feel about that one. Then, this year, they released What Lovers Do. I don't know if it's because they featured SZA, but this one was definitely better than the previous two songs by a mile. Adam Levine showcases his vocals as usual. However, he did have a decent falsetto in this one. SZA also offered a lot to the song. All in all, it has been one of my favorites this year.


41. The Chainsmokers - Honest
the-chainsmokers-2017-source-facebook-671x377.jpg (671×377)
So, this song wasn't exactly the most successful song from The Chainsmokers. However, that doesn't mean that it was a bad song. It's obviously on this list, so, I liked it. However, I don't believe it's their best song. I just like the lyrical content in this one. I just find this one different from what we usually hear on the radio. The production was also different from what we're used to hearing from The Chainsmokers. All set aside, though, Honest was definitely a risk to take for a single, and it somewhat worked on mainstream radio. However, it captured the attention of me. So, I am glad that they decided to release it.


40. Twenty One Pilots - Heavydirtysoul
636060358474945095-660395643_21 pilots.jpg (1050×600)
So, Twenty One Pilots had a big year in 2016. Heavydirtysoul was pretty much their only song this year that was somewhat successful. This song, like many others on this list, was definitely different from their previous songs. This song was very awesome and different, though. I believe that the verses flowed very nicely in this song and the chorus was quite catchy, as I expected. This song definitely did not fade on me fast, as it was not quite as successful after the big year the duo had in 2016. So, there was not much overplay out of this song. Let alone, much play. I'm glad that this song was at least recognized on Hits 1. It's one of those different songs, and I'm glad that they appreciate songs like this.


39. Jon Bellion - Overwhelming
jb-bg.jpg (1366×768)
I really enjoy Jon Bellion and his interesting take on pop music. Overwhelming was definitely another song that he released that was just really good. Although this song wasn't necessarily popular anywhere else, it did okay here. The vocals are very nice and I think that he is very talented. The lyrical content that Jon Bellion produces with his music is very different than typical pop music. I think that his style definitely works for him, and I can't wait to hear more of his music in the future. My only hope is that some more people will recognize and listen to his music.


38. Halsey - Bad At Love
p-1-Meet-The-CEO-of-Halsey-Inc.jpg (1280×720)
So, Halsey is another one of those artists who has really made her own lane with her music. Her music is more rebellious and edgy in terms of lyrical content. She had wild ambitions that really come loose with her music. This song is no different. I like this song is just something to connect to for so many of us who just feel like giving up on love. However, there is that message that still reigns true, that trying is worth it, even though we don't succeed. I appreciate how Halsey brought an interesting take on this. Her vocals were great as usual in this song as well, and I'm glad that it received a good amount of recognition here and elsewhere.


37. G-Eazy & Kehlani - Good Life
g-eazy-interview-1bcf1fb0-953c-4348-b851-fe340616cf4a.jpg (1200×630)
This was one of the songs recorded for the film The Fate Of The Furious. It was supposed to be a successful single, but it really was not. It only spent one week on this countdown, so there's some proof, but it really wasn't all that successful on mainstream radio either. I ejoyed G-Eazy's contributions to the song. Kehlani was a good choice to team up with as well. She demonstrated very good vocals in the chorus. I find it nice when a good rapper teams up with a talented singer. This is an example of one of those songs, even if it wasn't all that successful in the world of music.


36. The Vamps/Matoma - All Night
the-vamps-2015-press-shot-1442319058-editorial-long-form-1.jpeg (640×360)
The Vamps did return this year after my favorite song from them, Somebody To You. The paired up with Matoma on this song, titled Wake Up. I feel like he produced the song very well, and this is their second place song in my opinion. Nothing can really top Somebody To You. This leaned in the more electronic dance direction, rather than more instrumental, like their previous songs, and I'm glad that Hits 1 picked it up. It also had a good amount of success elsewhere, which was also good. I find the vocals very good on this track and I am excited to see what they will release next. 


35. Ariana Grande/Future - Everyday
arianagrande-hero-600664314.jpg (1986×1100)
Well, this was the last song off of Dangerous Woman that Ariana Grande had released as a single. I found this song alright at first, Future wasn't exactly something that drew me into it. Eventually, I found myself enjoying it. Ariana showed off her very good vocals as usual, even if this was far from her best work. It wasn't that successful, either, as it spent only two weeks on the countdown. In all, I guess you could say that this was a guilty pleasure of mine this year, if you look at the lyrics. 


34. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times
_97459454_gettyimages-813932920.jpg (976×549)
Harry Styles is easily the artist that everyone seems to be praising the most after his departure from One Direction. He decided to go in a rock-type direction, different from the rest of his band mates. However, I believe that his music, including this song have been quite underrated thus far. He is very talented and it is definitely represented in this song. The lyrical content for this song is very good and it was produced very nicely. He does have outstanding vocals on this track and he has a nice falsetto too. Hits 1 didn't really seem to favor this song, as well as its follow-ups, due to their rock-type nature. All I hope is that Harry becomes even more successful in the future.


33. Bebe Rexha - I Got You
beberexha.jpg (640×340)
Well, this is another good song that Bebe Rexha produced. She showcases great vocals during the length of the song and I wish that it received more recognition on the charts. I feel like Bebe Rexha does not get enough recognition with her music, unless she is featured on someone else's song. I hope that this year we can see a successful solo single from her, that is still good, like this one, of course.


32. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide
gettyimages-645762602-e1503800136797.jpg (782×440)
So, this year Calvin Harris started to take a newer path with his music. Slide was definitely an example of the newer lane he decided to take. I wasn't sure how this song was "good" at first, but after a few more listens, I was more impressed with it. The production is definitely different from your average song, but it still is good. Frank Ocean sounded good in the song, and what Migos had to contribute wasn't even that bad. It was a strange decision for a collaboration, but it ended up being something that really struck it big with the public.


31. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
Shawn_Mendes_live_in_concert.jpg (1600×1066)
So, this was just another typical Shawn Mendes pop song. It was really nothing different from what we are used to hearing from him. He is a good artist, so it was expected that the vocals and lyrics would be good. It was also expected that this song would be very popular, which it was.


30. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy
linkin-park-portrait-2007-a-billboard-1548.jpg (1548×1024)
The loss of Chester Bennington of Linkin Park this past year was very tragic, and I hope that he rests in peace. I am glad that he released a great album before we lost him. I am also very glad that he released this song and all of the ones before it. He was very talented and it really showed in this song. His vocals were great and Kiiara had very nice vocals as well. It is sad going back and listening to this song, as it really just shows that we will never hear Chester again, and his voice was truly something that blessed the people.



29. Machine Gun Kelly/Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best
machine-gun-kelly-photo-by-mike-coppolagetty-images.jpg (946×532)
This song had an absolutely great message. I enjoyed how it showcased the idea that if you cannot handle someone's flaws, then you should not be with them. I really feel like this was a good way of telling everyone that no one is perfect, and that you should love them for what they are. I just wish that this song was more successful. Hailee Steinfeld also demonstrated exceptional vocals in this song, and Machine Gun Kelly did good with his verses. The production was also nice, and the lyrics were obviously very-well written, in my opinion. 


28. Adele - Water Under The Bridge
adele-hero-620173502.jpg (1986×1100)
So, this was the last single that was released off of Adele's most recent album, 25. This song was a good choice for a single, as it was one of the best songs that she recorded for the album. I found this song better than Send My Love (To Your New Lover), the single that was released prior to this one. Her vocals sound good on this track, and they really sound good in the chorus. It did pretty good on Hits 1, as her songs usually do, but it wasn't all that popular on the other charts, comparing to its success here.


27. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato - No Promises
c91f382beee9e22052e741b17a1afefe (1000×609)
This song was really around for a while before Hits 1 actually picked up on it. It took me a while after this song's release to really fully get into it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I found Demi Lovato's vocals mixing nicely with the lead vocalist of Cheat Codes, Trevor Dahl, especially when Demi hit that high note in the final chorus. There was definitely a nice production behind this track and it sounded like they worked really hard on this track. The drop was one of the best ones that we heard of the year, in my opinion. So, it all calls for a good song, and I'm glad that it did pretty good on the charts.


26. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito (Remix)
fonsi-950x530.jpg (950×530)
Although I found myself banging my head along to this song quite a bit over the summer, the vibes just kind of died out after that. It was a nice Latin song that the country did experience. Don't get me wrong, I like this song, I mean, it's obviously here. Despacito is a good dance song, but besides that, at this moment in time, its spark is just dying out. It's still good, but it's nothing absolutely great to me anymore. It was definitely a stand out for most of the year in my opinion, which is why it is still being featured, because I still like it, but I'm not in love with it anymore.


25. Louis Tomlinson/Bebe Rexha/Digital Farm Animals - Back To You
louis-tomlinson-gettyimages-824912002.jpg (520×292)
I was excited to see this song from Louis Tomlinson. I was excited to see that Bebe Rexha was going to be featured on this song. I was also excited to see that Digital Farm Animals would be on this song too. I was just excited to see what this song would bring to the table. It did not disappoint in the slightest. The day I heard this song for the first time, it was on repeat. I found it interesting how Bebe Rexha took on the opening of the song, but I couldn't imagine the song any other way. I enjoyed how the vocals blended together in the chorus. Digital Farm Animals also did a good job on this song in terms of production and other assistance. I just wish this song was a bigger hit on other charts, outside of Hits 1. I would like to hear more from Louis in the future, but his new song Miss You, is very good for now.


24. Katy Perry/Skip Marley - Chained To The Rhythm
social-katy-perry-vogue-may-2017-cover-story-photos.jpg (2080×1170)
This was Katy Perry's comeback single, and frankly her best single of the year. This song was definitely a little more funky and different from what we are used to hearing from her. The song brought a good production to the table, as well as a very infectious chorus. Katy Perry had pretty good vocals on this track and Skip Marley did a good job on his verse. It was a pretty good track and I'm glad that it was decided on as being a single. It was a good taste of an album that wasn't all that great, but I'm still glad that Chained To The Rhythm was at least good, and that it did okay on the charts.


23. Charlie Puth - Attention
090717_CharliePuth-Site_Update-OG.png (1200×630)
This song was truly the only song from Charlie Puth thus far in his career that I really enjoyed from start to end. His previous songs, such as One Call Away and We Don't Talk Anymore were just good songs, and they don't compare to this one. The song just has a really catchy vibe to it. His vocals sound nice in this song and this one was quite successful on a number of charts. I have not got sick of this song yet and I am glad that Charlie Puth released this song as a single. It has really been one of the best songs of the year.


22. Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid - 1-800-273-8255
logic_ban.jpeg (650×360)
This song easily has one of the best messages of the year. I cared about this song from first listen. This song is essentially about the awareness of suicide. I mean, the title of the song is the number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. This song just shows that you matter, and that suicide is just a permanent answer to a problem that can be fixed with time. This is just a sad, yet moving song, as it speaks to so many people who have overcome suicide. Reading stories of the people who have committed suicide, it is just heartbreaking and such an awful thing. I'm glad that this song was made and that it brings light to this and will help people. The song was very nicely written and all three vocalists, Logic, Alessia Cara, and Khalid all did a great job performing the song. I could not think of anyone better to deliver this song. I am so glad that it was very successful and that it made a significant mark on the people of this world. I hope that everyone realizes that they are not alone when they listen to this song, and that they are loved.


21. Aaron Carter - Sooner Or Later
aaron-carter_0.jpg (612×380)
I don't see how anyone could hate this song. Aaron Carter is very good vocally and lyrically the song is great. Likewise, the production is very nice in Sooner Or Later as well. The beat throughout the song is just infectiously catchy too. I was actually really surprised that this song made it onto the countdown. Once it did, though, I was very happy. It did not last long, and did not get above the bottom third of the countdown, but at least it was here. I liked hearing this song on the radio when it was played. I just wish it was more successful, as it was really one of the most stand out tracks we had this year.


20. P!nk - What About Us
Pink-VMA-Vanguard.jpg (800×500)
I'm not sure where this song ranks on a list of my favorite songs from P!nk, but it is definitely up there. This song is not necessarily a banger from P!nk, as we are typically used to hearing. However, it is still good. I can see why people could easily get sick of this song, as it is a bit repetitive, but it is just really catchy. P!nk, as usual has very outstanding vocals. She is a very good live singer as well, better than most, I have to say. The production on this track is very nicely done and the lyrical content is very good as well. The chorus has a lot to deliver and I'm glad that it has had a good amount of success on its run, especially considering it was a #1 song on Hits 1.


19. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt - Let Me Go
hailee-steinfeld-today-concerts-tease-170506_9bced6631f106c463ede8dd7e34ac5d0.jpg (1920×1080)
I am very glad that Hailee Steinfeld has taken the route more closely related to music now. She is a very talented singer. This song has a really nice drop and Alesso put together his part very nicely. I liked how she brought in a country voice for the track. Florida Georgia Line's vocals blend very nicely with hers. Finally, watt does a nice job on the instrumentals that appear here and there. Although it has not been the most popular track so far, I am glad that Hailee Steinfeld is getting recognition for her talent and I'm glad that she has really decided on music as her lane. This song is just very good.


18. The Chainsmokers - Paris
1461193293963 (1000×666)
I enjoyed Paris. I feel like The Chainsmokers made some good choices on this song. Andrew Taggart has very nice vocals and they showed in this song, just as well as any other. I liked how his vocals blended with Emily Warren, who was not credited with vocals on this song, which sucks, because she also brought a lot to the table. This song is just lyrically very good and I am glad that it was successful here and around the world.


17. Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
2758.jpg (300×180)
So, as we all know by now, I am a pretty big fan of Taylor Swift. However, her work on this song is by no means her best work. This is also not Zayn's best work either. Nevertheless, it is still a very good song. I don't really understand the reason for this being the lead single off of the Fifty Shades Darker Soundtrack, as there were probably better picks that fit the meaning of the film more appropriately. All set aside, though, the vocals from both artists here are really nice, as expected and although the lyrics are definitely not too much of a stand out, everything else makes up for it. I am glad that this song was successful everywhere.


16. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
image.jpg (620×330)
The manner in which this song is just titled says it all. This song is just beautiful in terms of any love song I have ever heard, and I'm glad that it was chosen as a single, and that it is having success. This is definitely a good song that can be played at a wedding, and I can see why Ed Sheeran wrote it. He does have a girlfriend, who he probably shares this song with. I feel like I would have this song to share with someone, as would many people. After all, it is the #1 song in the country right now. Every version Ed Sheeran has released of this song just wows me. The vocals on every version of this song are amazing and the lyrics just speak for themselves. So, if you haven't listened to this song yet, then you should really get on that soon. It is absolutely, by no means, a waste of your time.


15. Zayn/Sia - Dusk Till Dawn
laughs-vn2.jpg (1440×890)
This is undoubtedly Zayn's best song to date. I am very glad that he made the choice to feature Sia on this song. This song is just vocally outstanding and and the two artists on this song sound great together. I found that when they hit the higher notes, I got chills. The build-up in this song is yet another great effect that it brings to the table. It is doing good on Hits 1, but it makes me sad that it is not exactly doing great on the other charts, so apparently this country doesn't like this song. I just hope that this song continues to do well on this station.


14. Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay
zedd-gettyimages-821147838.jpg (520×292)
This song was a very-well produced track and a well-done job by Zedd. Alessia Cara did a great job vocally on this track as well. The chorus sounds very nice, with that electronic touch to Alessia's vocals. This song had me hooked from start to end and I'm glad that it was so successful. Get Low with Liam Payne in no way compares to this song. I look forward to Zedd's next album and his future singles. I enjoy listening to his music. He easily produces some of the best tracks of this era in music.


13. Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad Things
mgk-pics-galore-cover-1024x576.jpg (1024×576)
I like Machine Gun Kelly's skills as a rap artist and I like how he brings pop artists into his songs, like Camila Cabello on this one. This was Camila's first real high-profile track since leaving Fifth Harmony. It's basically just a sexy song about two lovers who feel nothing but passion towards each other. I get lost in Camila's vocals and Machine Gun Kelly does very nice with his verses. Lyrically, I like what the song has to offer as well, and the beat is really good as well. I thoroughly enjoyed this song with every listen from start to end.


12. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming
the-weeknd-0217-gq-fewe03-01.jpg (2000×1125)
This was a follow up to Starboy, another song that The Weeknd teamed up with Daft Punk on. This song was very well produced and it is very very catchy. I had pretty high expectations for this song as I found Starboy a pretty good song as well. This song is a little more laid back compared to its predecessor, but that doesn't change my opinion on it at all. The lyrics in this song are very well put together. There are some strong old school vibes that I feel with this song and it is quite interesting. This song was quite impressive for what it was. I'm not sure that this is my favorite song from him so far in his career, but it is definitely one of them. Above all, I would like to hear even more from The Weeknd ad Daft Punk together in the future. They are a great duo and their music sounds great when they work together.


11. Sabrina Carpenter - Why
tell-us-about-your-selfie-sabrina-carpenter-2-26864-1448041114-9_dblbig.jpg (625×415)
I have loved Sabrina Carpenter's music from the start. I have found myself listening to some of her older but really catchy songs, such as The Middle Of Starting Over and Eyes Wide Open to feel good. She also offers some heartbreak songs, such as Smoke & Fire and On Purpose for me to listen to when I'm just having one of those days. I just wish she had more success early on. Nevertheless, I'm just glad she got the recognition she deserved with Why. I'm not sure if this is my favorite song from her, but I definitely found myself listening to it a good portion of the summer. The chopped up vocals just add a really nice effect, and I like how all of her songs, including this one, just reflect this fun, teen-like vibe. My only complaint on this song is that it is way too short. It does not even reach three minutes, but with all set aside, I am glad this song was released, because Sabrina got her rightful recognition and it ended up being one of my favorite songs of the year.



With the above songs being counted down, we are now entering my top 10 favorite songs of the year. These are the songs that stood out to me the most this year. I have been very careful with my decisions for this part of the list, and this is by far what has taken me the longest. So, let's get into my top 10 picks of the year. 


10. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
taylor-swift-gq-115-04.jpg (1472×828)
This song was definitely a full-fledged risk for Taylor. Many of her fans were not a fan of this song. This is another song that Taylor directed at her haters. This song broke a tremendous record on YouTube, with the most views on her music video in a twenty four hour time span. This song is just a darker version of Taylor. It is a dance song but it does have a very catchy chorus. The lyrics are very edgy and in all, this song was just a really different sound for her. I, regardless, just found this song really catchy and it was just one of those songs.


9. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
170718104145-ed-sheeran-game-of-thrones-2-super-tease.jpg (1100×619)
This song was the song of the year on many platforms, including Billboard and Hits 1. This song actually tells a story with its lyrics. It starts with flirting that leads to a hook-up. The story is definitely demonstrated well in the music video. This track definitely contradicts Perfect, in terms of its lyrical content, but Ed Sheeran sounds just as good vocally. All set aside, this was acclaimed well with critics and the public really enjoyed this song, including me. So, yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about it.


8. Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It?
taylor-swift-gorgeous.jpg (645×435)
I found this follow up to Look What You Made Me Do better than Look What You Made Me Do itself. One of the things I first noticed and enjoyed was the great bass beneath Taylor's vocals. Her vocals also sounded very nice on this track. Taylor still took a darker vibe with this one, but we did see a little bit of sunshine with her bright pop vocals in the chorus, but the beat in the opening also contradicted that. So, I wasn't expecting it, but it was a pleasant surprise. I find it hard not to enjoy a song from Taylor and this is another example of a song that I could not stop listening to from her.


7. Calvin Harris/Pharell Williams/Katy Perry - Feels 
latest (640×360)
This song was a great song to follow Slide, which also appeared on this list. This song has some of the best production I have heard this year. This is yet another example of Calvin Harris and his new lane he tried to take with his music this year. This song gave me some sixty-seventy vibes. It was more disco-oriented, which I found really cool. The two videos that were released for this song really reflected this song's style, too. I found Pharell's parts really catchy and Katy Perry sounded nice in the chorus. Even though Hits 1 did edit out Big Sean's part, he also did not sound that bad either. This was definitely my song of the summer. I found myself jamming out to this song all summer. So, yeah, this was definitely one of the most catchiest songs of the year.


6. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar
Selena-Gomez.jpg (1488×837)
I don't understand why so many people in this blogging community did not like this song, but I do respect their opinions. This song received so much critical acclaim. It was actually the #1 song of the year as picked by Billboard's critics. This song finds Selena trying not to think about a lover she just broke off a relationship with. I liked this song as a comeback from Selena. The vocals were very nice, and there were several subtle Trojan War references, which was kind of cool. The lyrics aren't amazing, I agree, but there is a lot that makes up for it. The production is nice as well. The song sounds very sexy and Selena doesn't really seem to be doing a very nice job hiding her thoughts and feelings. I just found myself listening to this song over and over again. It has been one of my favorites this year. Well, obviously, it is at #6. 


5. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
Portugal-The-Man-feature.png (585×350)
This band often does not get recognized with their music on pop radio. Their music style is alternative. However, this song did do well on both alternative and pop radio. This was Portugal. The Man's first song that broke free to mainstream radio and the song that really put them on the map. However, this is most likely just going to be a one-hit pop wonder. It has a really nice bassline and John Gourley brings a nice falsetto to match it. The melody in this song is very catchy as well and the lyrics make it ten times more infectious of a song. I will definitely be open to listening to more of this band's music in the future as they are very talented. This song is just a feel good song and I listen to it all the time to get me in a good mood. I would find it as a very big challenge for me to get sick of this song. It is just a really fun jam of mine and I'm glad that it was successful in this country.


4. Camila Cabello - Havana
camila-cabello-debut-album-755871a9-3783-475d-9ccf-394686fdb61d.jpg (700×394)
Many people expected this song to flop, and originally it wasn't even a single. It was just a promotional single. OMG, a song with Quavo, which was released alongside this, was the intended single, but was eventually made the promotional single. She did make a good choice, as OMG did not take off very much at all. Many thought that this one would flop, and boy were they wrong. I found this song infectiously catchy from the start. Camila's vocals are nice, as usual. She really showcases her talent in this one. The lyrics tell a story of a forbidden love between two countries and I find it kind of nice that Camila brought in her own home to deliver this song. The production is nice, and I could not imagine a world where this song did not have success. I am so glad that this song took off and was so successful. I cannot wait to see what she has in store with her new album, Camila, released in six more days.


We now reach the top 3 songs of mine this year. These following three songs were very difficult to place in order. However, it had to be done. They are all tied at #1 in my book, but each one is about a quarter of a centimeter better than the other. but without further adieu, here are my top 3 (all my #1's) of 2018.


3. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me

kygo-1496246741.93.2560x1440.jpg (2560×1440)
Again, it was a very tight race between this song and the next two for the #1 pick. If I could make it a tie between these three songs, I would. So, really let's just treat this pretty much as a tie between these next three. This is Selena Gomez's second appearance in the top 10. This time she is with Kygo in It Ain't Me. This song has some nice production and there is a very nice drop with this one. The lyrics are another example of a song that tells a story, of two lovers who have been together forever, and one eventually decides to break it off. It is songs like these that I really appreciate, as they tell a great story that I can follow as I listen. Vocally, Selena Gomez does a really nice job in the chorus and verses. Her voice in the chorus gave me chills. I thank this song for being one that I could always listen to and always have to fall back into. It was such a good song to go to during the harder times this year. 


2. Julia Michaels - Issues
Julia-Michaels-1024x576.jpg (1024×576)
This one ended up landing a spot at #2. Julia Michaels has written songs for some of the biggest people in the music industry today, but I am glad that in 2017 she finally released a solo single. This song is so good, and tells a very personal story of how complex it is to be in love with someone sometimes. The lyrics are very creative and the song is well-written, just like the songs she wrote for artists such as Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber. I really am glad that Julia Michaels has decided to emerge vocally with her music. She has talent with both songwriting and singing, so I hope she continues with both in the future. I am so glad that this song was successful. She really deserved it.


1. Kesha - Praying
10kesha-explainer1-facebookJumbo.jpg (1050×550)
This is it guys, my number one song this year, brought to you by Kesha. In the past, we have known Kesha to release crazier songs like TiK ToK, Die Young, and Crazy Kids. After she took a few years off after her last album, Kesha really evolved as an artist. She experienced an emotional lawsuit in which she filed against a producer of hers, Dr. Luke, for sexual harassment. She definitely went through a good amount of stuff these past few years, and it really reflects on her latest album. This song is just so emotional both lyrically and vocally. It is just absolutely beautiful in terms of Kesha's vocals. It is so raw in this song, and it is absolutely nothing like we have ever heard from her before this. I like the high notes that she hit all the way through the course of the song. That one very high note she hit in the final chorus gave me absolute chills like I have never felt before. The lyrical content is very good as well and it seems pretty clear that in parts of the song that she is speaking of Dr. Luke. What Kesha has been through and knowing about it really makes me respect her so much more as an artist. Her new album, Rainbow, is a complete masterpiece, and I love the variety between the tracks. Not to mention, the music video for this song is just a visual masterpiece and I enjoyed watching every second of it. Her music has been receiving a lot of critical acclaim this year and I am so happy that she is experiencing better times now. I am so glad she's back and I can't wait to see what she brings us this year. Kesha is truly an amazing woman and artist and I am so glad that she had a great year in 2017.

kesha-praying-music-video-2.jpg (733×381)
Kesha-Praying.jpg (879×451)
kesha.png (480×240)
kesha-praying-music-video-ending.jpg (728×387)


To everyone who read this post, feel free to comment your thoughts and your opinions, but please do not argue. More posts will be on the way. Thank you all who read this all the way through. I really put my heart into making this list as I do every year. You all are amazing and thank you all for making 2017 such a great year for me.

~ Jack :)























































13 comments:

  1. Great list Jack! I agree with your #1 pick and other ones as well. I can tell you put a lot of time and effort into this. You did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading. And thank you so much for your praise. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I love reading these year-end posts. Here are my thoughts on this list.

    45. Yeah....I'm not too fond of this song. I just think it's annoying and childish, but I respect your opinion. The lyrical content definitely had something going for it, but it just wasn't for me. (Red)

    44. Not too crazy about this one either. But I'm glad Havana turned out better. (Red)

    43. I love this song. I'm glad it made this list. It's my #45 pick of the year. (Green)

    42. Definitely better than their previous two singles. And I do think SZA had a lot to do with why I like this song. (Green)

    41. Not their best song, but I liked it for what it was. The lyrical content is nice. (Green)

    40. Definitely a stand-out from these guys. It may not have been big. But I liked it. My #34 pick of the year. (Green)

    39. I love Jon Bellion's music and this song is no different. I would've loved to have seen this become a bigger hit. (Green)

    38. I don't love this song, but it's a lot better than Now Or Never and I'm glad she's getting a good amount of recognition. (Green)

    37. Despite not being a big hit, I really liked what this song had to offer. My #32 pick of the year. (Green)

    36. Definitely their best song since Somebody To You. My #37 pick of 2017. (Green)

    35. Personally, this is my least favorite single from her latest album. But it wasn't awful. Just a little disappointing. (Red)

    34. A favorite among the critics and it's a favorite of mine. My #17 pick of the year. (Green)

    33. She's very talented and this song shows it. My #42 pick of the year. (Green)

    32. I love this new direction he's taking. Even though it wasn't a big hit, I love it. My #21 pick of 2017. (Green)

    31. I liked this at first, but now it's really starting to fade on me. Hits 1 overplaying it didn't help. He's had better. (Pink)

    30. Nowhere near their best work, nor is it the best song off their latest album. But I enjoyed it for what it was. The vocals sound great on this one. Chester will be missed. (Green)

    29. I enjoyed this song somewhat, though it didn't stick with me. But I do think it's better than Bad Things. (Greenish, possibly blue).

    28. Adele's one hit this year was a great one. My #24 pick of the year. (Green)

    27. I really like what this song had to offer. They sound really good together. My #26 pick of the year (only one spot off). (Green)

    26. Some may hate it, but I love it despite it being as overrated as it was. It's hard for me not to like this. My #12 pick of the year. (Green)

    25. Louis Tomlinson definitely impressed me this year. This is a really good. My #13 pick of the year. (Green)

    24. Definitely a good comeback single for Katy Perry. My #18 pick of 2017. (Green)

    23. Possibly his best song to date. My #39 pick of the year. (Green)

    22. The message moves me. Logic took on something I rarely ever hear in music. My #6 pick of the year. (Green)

    21. I was quite surprised to see this song so high. But I'm not complaining. It's a great song. My #40 pick of 2017. (Green)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20. Not like her older music. But a definite stand-out in my opinion. P!nk shows what she's truly capable of here. My #4 pick of the year. (Green)

      19. Probably Hailee Steinfeld's best song so far. My #28 pick of the year. (Green)

      18. While not as good as Something Just Like This, I enjoyed this song. We really get to hear what Andrew Taggart is capable of. (Green)

      17. This was good at first, but it still hasn't fully grown back on me. But both artists have definitely done better. (Yellow)

      16. The song title speaks for itself. My #22 pick of the year. (Green)

      15. Definitely Zayn's best song so far. He and Sia sound great together. The chorus is amazing. My #25 pick of the year. (Green)

      14. Zedd has done better, though it's definitely not a bad song. But I feel like he's beginning to sell out with songs like this and Get Low. I'm a little nervous to hear what's next. (Turquoise)

      13. Those that dislike this song can explain why better than I can. But Camila's vocals are probably the least appealing thing about the song. MGK has also done better. (Red)

      12. They've become an iconic duo in my book. This song is fantastic from start to end. My #3 pick of the year. (Green)

      11. Although I don't like this song, I know what it's like to be a fan of an artist before they get big. And when they do get big, you just feel proud and you're glad they got the recognition they deserved. (Red)

      10. This song had the country split right down the middle. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this, I much preferred what she had to offer with 1989. She seems like some kind of demon here and there really isn't much to this song. (Red)

      9. I'm a little sick of this, but I do like the song. I think he did a really nice job with it. I'm glad it did so well. (Yellow)

      8. Definitely better than LWYMMD. But still not the Taylor I used to like. This is enjoyable though. (Green)

      7. This was definitely my song of the summer as well. Calvin Harris' new direction seems to be working very well for him. My #10 pick of the year. (Green)

      6. Yeah this was not pretty. There's nothing special about her vocals here. The production is extremely underwhelming. The song is very boring. It's the furthest thing from sexy I've ever heard. While I respect your opinion, this is my #1 least favorite song of the year. Selena can do MUCH better. (Orange)

      5. I like this song. It's a nice crossover from alternative into mainstream. It's very catchy. My #30 pick of the year. (Green)

      4. Her best song so far as a solo artist. Although Young Thug's verse sucks, she sounds pretty decent here. Though I can definitely see myself getting sick of this. (Green)

      3. As someone that has been a fan of Kygo since his first few singles, I'm so proud to see how far he's come. This song is fantastic. Everything about it sounds amazing. I'm glad this was a big success and Kygo got the recognition he deserved in the US. My #1 pick of the year. (Purple)

      2. She's a good songwriter, but not a good singer in my opinion. At least in this song. She sounds good in songs like Carry Me by Kygo. But the weird production here makes her voice sound even weirder. And how overrated this got only made matters worse. My #2 least favorite of the year. (Red)

      1. This is absolutely beautiful and I'm so happy that things are going well for Kesha and that she's able to release music again. The lyrical content is amazing and Kesha's vocals are fantastic. I'm so glad this was well-received by critics as well as the blogging community. My #5 pick of 2017. (Green)


      A lot of these songs were on my Top 45 list, which is cool. Although I didn't agree with all of your choices, I respect your opinions. Overall, I though this was a good list and you did a really nice job on this post. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Keep it up! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  3. The year-end is already over. Here it is guys!!!

    https://ummmmmmmmmmmma.blogspot.com/2018/01/pop-artists-for-future.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jack. . is doing a 2017 Hits 1 Year-End Rankdown if you're interested. Here's the link:

    https://countdownguyblog.blogspot.com/p/2017-hits-1-ye-rankdown.html

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...