Friday, September 2, 2016

2016 VMAs Performance Reviews

Hey guys! Here's a review with my opinions of the 2016 VMAs Performances! These awards aired this past Sunday night on MTV. If I had to start with reviewing the hosts, they were awful and annoying as heck and I hope we never see them again Now, on with the review.

Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music/Only Girl (In The World)/We Found Love/Where Have You Been
sponsored-clip-rihanna-performance-1.jpg (1280×720)
Comments: Let's just say that this wasn't the best way to open the show. Rihanna took breaks in her singing which was a tad annoying and her other performances were better. The ending with Where Have You Been also sounded a little strange to me. It definitely wasn't the worst thing we saw, but it definitely wasn't the best thing we saw either.

Grade: 6.5/10




Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side
57c3933205b8472ca042dffa (750×416)
Comments: So, Ariana and Nicki are pretty much destined to do duets, they just sound so good together. For this one, they performed a sweat-inducing rendition of their new single, Side To Side, off of Dangerous Woman. At the beginning, Ariana's voice was a little sloppy at the beginning while she was working out. Was it because she was out of breath? That's one theory. Anyways, she soon made up for it afterwards. Then Nicki came out and her part was just great as always. The way they ended the song was great with perfect stage presence. So, there was one little flaw.


Grade: 9.5/10




Future - F*ck Up Some Commas
maxresdefault.jpg (1920×1080)

Comments: Well, this was weird as expected. Future really isn't that great of an artist in my opinion and his performances aren't good either. I mean, I could barely hear him and the flashing lights was so annoying. Well, there's nothing else to say, F*ck Up Some Commas is definitely a disgrace of a song.

Grade: 1/10




Rihanna - Rude Boy/What's My Name?/Work
sponsored-clip-rihanna-performance-2.jpg (1280×720)
Comments: Well, this was better than her last performance. The addition of all the people was somewhat interesting. I liked the song choice and Rihanna's voice sounded better this time. Overall, it was good, but not great.

Grade: 7.5/10




Nick Jonas/Ty Dolla $ign - Bacon
clip-11-nick-jonas-performance.jpg (1280×720)
Comments: Well, if I'm being honest here, this performance wasn't as bad as I had expected. The set of the diner really pulled it all together and Nick's voice sounded really good. I wasn't thrilled about Ty Dolla $ign's part in the performance, but it was okay. The shaking cars was kind of off topic and strange. Well, I give it props for the diner set and Nick's voice.

Grade: 8/10




Beyonce - Pray You Catch Me/Hold Up/Countdown/Sorry/Don't Hurt Yourself/Formation
maxresdefault.jpg (1280×720)
Comments: Beyonce is just a natural born performer. It's unreal how amazing she is on stage. Her performance of Pray You Catch Me was just pure beauty. Hold Up was pretty good too. Her voice was great in that one. Next was Countdown, and I was frankly quite interested in this part of the performance. For some reason, it grabbed my attention a little bit. The performance of Sorry was decent, but not at her best, her voice kind of went downhill. The follow up to that was the performance of Don't Hurt Yourself which was good. The finale with Formation was really good and the ending was just great. Overall, Beyonce didn't fail to grab my attention and it was definitely a magical performance.

Grade: 9.5/10




Britney Spears/G-Eazy - Make Me.../Me, Myself, & I
c6f529faf5a8d52aaceeb4ee341c7e37 (640×360)
Comments: I don't really care that Britney was lip-syncing for the majority of the performance because it was a heck of a comeback after nine years off the stage. She and G-Eazy got a little close on that stage. I'm having some conspiracy theories. Just kidding, just kidding, well maybe. Anyways, it was a great performance.

Grade: 9.5/10




Rihanna - Needed Me/Pour It Up/B*tch Better Have My Money
sponsored-clip-rihanna-performance-3.jpg (1280×720)
Comments: I didn't really care for this performance at all and I don't really want to talk about it in detail. Rihanna made a poor song choice. So bad, I kind of yawned when I was watching it.

Grade: 3/10




The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer
maxresdefault.jpg (1635×957)
Comments: I'm just in love with this song. Andrew Taggart and Halsey's voices sound amazing together. It was a match made in heaven. The performance was a little shaky at some parts, but they regained themselves. Overall, it was great as expected.

Grade: 9.5/10




Rihanna - Stay/Diamonds/Love On The Brain
2a514518-cf72-48c2-9387-6debd87a6510.jpg (760×428)
Comments: Well, this was Rihanna's best performance of the night. It was just a beautiful song choice and I don't really have anything else to say about it.

Grade: 8.5/10




Music Video Premiere - Kanye West - Fade
meet-teyana-taylor-star-of-the-kanye-west-fade-video-everyone-is-talking-about.jpg (1024×512)
Comments: This definitely was an interesting video, but the direction was good and the song was kind of catchy. The end of the video kind of made no sense though. All said and done, I think it is one of Kanye's stronger music videos.

Grade: 8/10

Well, that's all I have for you tonight.

Love ya fam!

~ Jack :)


















1 comment:

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...