Monday, August 12, 2019

Shawn Mendes (5) - Week Of August 10, 2019













Hey guys! My next album review should be out sometime this week, so be on the look out for that! Anyways, we are here for the countdown. This week was pretty crazy, and some exciting stuff happened for once. Anyways, before we get to this week's fresh 45, here are the songs that we are saying goodbye to this week.
  • Martin Garrix/Macklemore/Patrick Stump - Summer Days (#37)
  • Bazzi - Paradise (#39)
  • Push Baby - Mama's House (#41)
  • Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#42)
  • Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#44)
  • Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
Last Week's #1 Song: Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You

The Chart
45. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#40)
44. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#32)
43. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#43) [2 Weeks At #1]
42. Asher Angel - One Thought Away (DEBUT)
41. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You (#25)
40. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#38)
39. Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter (DEBUT)
38. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#35) [7 Weeks At #1]
37. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#36) [8 Weeks At #1]
36. SHAED - Trampoline (DEBUT)
35. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again (DEBUT)
34. Stephen Puth - Look Away (DEBUT)
33. Halsey - Without Me (#29) [5 Weeks At #1]
32. OneRepublic - Rescue Me (DEBUT)
31. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME! (#30)
30. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#28)
29. Post Malone - Goodbyes (#24)
28. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#26)
27. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#17)
26. P!nk - Hustle (#33)
25. Blanco Brown - The Git Up (#27)
24. Public - Make You Mine (#31)
23. Ava Max - So Am I (#7)
22. Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me (#23)
21. Katy Perry - Never Really Over (#20)
20. AJR - 100 Bad Days (#34)
19. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine (#15)
18. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (#16)
17. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#8)
16. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy (#10)
15. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down (#4)
14. Jonas Brothers - Cool (#9)
13. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care (#12)
12. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#14)
11. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#6) [3 Weeks At #1]
10. Khalid - Talk (#18)
9. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#19)
8. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita (#13)
7. Lizzo - Truth Hurts (#22)
6. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#3) [13 Weeks At #1]
5. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier (#11)
4. Halsey - Nightmare (#2)
3. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (#21)
2. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#5) [2 Weeks At #1]
1. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (#1) [5th Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Tie Between Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You and Ava Max - So Am I (-16)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (+18)

Spotlight Of The Week: Sabrina Carpenter - I'm Fakin


New Entrants

~ First up this week is Asher Angel with One Thought Away. While this song is good, it's not amazing. However, I'll take it for what it is. Asher Angel is essentially another one of those teenage singers trying to make it big (like an Austin Brown). However, he actually sounds okay, while Austin Brown does not. I find the chorus to this song kind of catchy, but other than that nothing really pops out. It's pretty forgettable, and I don't think it will last long here, so onto the next one. 

~ Next is Miley Cyrus with Mother's Daughter. This song certainly isn't her best work, but I enjoy it to a certain extent. Miley has a significant level of confidence on this track and her vocals are pretty solid here as well. This is definitely different from some of the stuff we have heard from her before, and I like it. I like that Miley can usually bring something unique to the table and different from the last song that we heard from her. So, I am hoping that this song will stay for a while.

~ Following that, we have a song that I am glad is finally garnering some attention. That song would be SHAED's Trampoline. Sometime last year, I heard this song in an Apple commercial, and did some digging to find the full-length track--and I was surprised. It's a very simplistic, but dream-like song. She has a nice voice here and I enjoy the overall production on this song. While I liked it a little more a few months ago, it still has managed to hold up well. So, I won't mind if this sticks around for a while.

~ Right after that, we have my new favorite song on the countdown--as Mark Ronson and Camila Cabello's Find U Again finally debuts. I was getting worried that this song would not make it to the countdown, but I am very glad that it is here. Mark Ronson does a nice job production-wise here and Camila  has a nice sound (however, the auto-tune is a little over-done in some parts). I just think that this song is a super catchy and pretty well put together Crying In The Club reminiscent track. My one wish is that it sticks it out here for a little while.

~ Next is Stephen Puth with Look Away. I think this song is good, but again it is nothing that really seems to hold up well. It is pretty forgettable, and a bit of a step down from Sexual Vibe. That song had better vocals and production in my personal opinion. Look Away is good for a listen every now and then, but is nothing that I will go too far out of my way to hear. I don't really care how it does here.

~ Finally, we have OneRepublic with Rescue Me. Personally, I believe that these guys hit their peak a little while ago. Their music in the recent years has really been quite underwhelming. Rescue Me is no exception. Sure, I found it kind of catchy at first, but that quickly faded. Ryan Tedder sounds pretty boring here and the production on this track is nothing special. I guess this song will be fine here for a while, because it's not bad, it's just okay.

Entrant Rankings:
  1. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
  2. Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
  3. SHAED - Trampoline
  4. Stephen Puth - Look Away
  5. Asher Angel - One Thought Away
  6. OneRepublic - Rescue Me

Hit-Bound
  • Jax Jones & Bebe Rexha - Harder
  • Panic! At The Disco - Roaring 20s (DEBUT)
  • Zara Larsson - All The Time
  • Ellie Goulding & Juice WRLD - Hate Me
  • Twenty One Pilots - The Hype (DEBUT)
  • Taylor Swift - The Archer
  • Alec Benjamin - Jesus In LA (DEBUT)
  • Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?
  • Katy Perry - Small Talk (DEBUT)
  • Ariana Grande & Social House - Boyfriend (DEBUT)
  • Thomas Rhett - Look What God Gave Her
  • Ed Sheeran/Khalid - Beautiful People
  • Dominic Fike - 3 Nights
  • Jonas Brothers - Only Human
  • Lizzo - Good As Hell (DEBUT)
~ First up this week is Panic! At The Disco with Roaring 20s. No surprise, this song really isn't all that good. I feel as if this most recent era from Panic! At The Disco has been pretty underwhelming for the most part. I also don't understand why Hits 1 feels the need to pick up yet another non-single from this album.  Dancing's Not A Crime was enough. We don't need another. I am just hoping that this doesn't end up on the countdown, because I know that I am going to end up hating it at some point. 

~ Next up is another non-single that Hits 1 happened to pick up on this week. That would be The Hype by Twenty One Pilots. I also happen to think that this one is pretty underwhelming. The vocals here leave much to be desired and the overall production is kind of boring. So yeah, I wouldn't mind if this one didn't make it on the countdown.

~ Another debut, another underwhelming song. Alec Benjamin's Jesus In LA is no different from the Hit-Bound entrants we've discussed this far. His vocals here are not really good here and the rest of the song is incredibly bland. This song will probably be in red sooner rather than later.

~ Next we have another that will probably been in red sooner rather than later. Katy Perry makes a debut this week with her new single, Small Talk--and honestly, it just isn't that good. The lyrical offerings here are pretty pathetic and for the most part this song reminds me of another generic song off of her last album, Witness. There's literally nothing to it. Her voice here is fine, I guess, but that really is the only thing keeping this song afloat for me right now.

~ Next up is Boyfriend from Ariana Grande and Social House. This is certainly a step up from the other three singles that we have heard from her this year, but again I don't think I'll end up liking this song for long. It's in green now, but given the extent that her other songs from this year held up with me, I doubt this song will surprise me. I also could do without the Social House contribution (maybe someone else could have been better for this track). Ariana sounds fine here and I don't find the concept bad, I just don't know how long this one is going to stick with me. For now, I'm enjoying it for the most part.

~ Finally, we have Lizzo with another older song of hers (even older than Truth Hurts)--Good As Hell. I'm actually pretty glad that this song is here. This one certainly has a better appeal than Truth Hurts, and her vocals are pretty good here. The production here is nice and upbeat. Yeah, I like this. It was a good way to end Hit-Bound this week.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Taylor Swift - The Archer
2. Jonas Brothers - Only Human
3. Sam Smith - How Do You Sleep?
4. Thomas Rhett - Look What God Gave Her
5. Zara Larsson - All The Time


One Blurb Away

~ If I Can't Have You is still at the summit, and honestly, I'm fine with it. It is the best contender in my book (out of the top 10 right now)--other than the #8 and #9, which likely have no shot at all. As long as we are keeping the truly bad songs away, what's the harm?

~ I have no idea what prompted that jump from If We Have Each Other, but it needs to be undone next week. This song is seriously one of the most irrelevant tracks on this countdown, and I don't appreciate it being referred as the "#3 most popular song in North America"--maybe #333 but not #3. It honestly has no place on this countdown at all.

~ Speaking of big jumps, Truth Hurts made a pretty big leap into the top 10 this week. I honestly don't care because this song isn't the worst thing ever. I personally am just happy that we have this blue song in the place of a red song. I am okay with it just as long as this one doesn't hit #1 (which I doubt it will).

~ I appreciate that Señorita took a little bit of a leap back into the top 10, and that Someone You Loved did as well. I have actually grown to like both of these songs a little more in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure it will last, but I'm enjoying them for now.

~ AJR is now in the top 20 with 100 Bad Days. This isn't good. Not at all. Please. Go. Back. From. Where. You. Came.

~ And just when I thought that So Am I was going to become the next Sweet But Psycho, it didn't and I'm thankful for that. I hope that this drop lasts.

~ Every little jump that is made by The Git Up makes me angrier and angrier. This song really doesn't deserve any attention. Blanco Brown is not good, and not a true country artist, no matter how much he tries to make it seem like he is. True country music is pretty much dead anyways, so I really don't understand what he's trying to go for with this song.

~ We have now heard High Hopes twice in the same countdown, due to it being the #1 song at this time last year. One listen is far too much for this song, two is just absolute torture at this point.

~ Finally! With You has dropped! Next step is to get this song off the countdown, because it is honestly one of the biggest issues here right now. Our biggest goal for this song is to clear as much clutter as we possibly can.

~ Something kind of strange happened this week. I don't absolutely hate Sweet But Pyscho anymore. I'm sure it will change. But, I heard it on the radio the other day and just didn't find it that bad anymore. It actually got to the point that I was singing along to it at some parts, but that may be just do the fact that it is quite possibly the biggest earworm of 2019.

~ As for our exits, I'm sad to see Summer Days and Paradise leave. They both deserved better here. Mama's House was getting kind of annoying. It was definitely time for Close To Me and Dancing With A Stranger. One had become incredibly annoying and the other had become incredibly boring. As for Chlorine, its exit was going to happen at some point, and I don't really care to see it go.

~ Personal Chart (8/10/2019): http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/jacks-top-50-5


Let's Do A Top 20 Review! 

0-Garbage
20. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
19. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
18. AJR - 100 Bad Days
17. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It 

1-Bad
16. Jonas Brothers - Cool
15. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
14. Halsey - Nightmare
13. Khalid - Talk 

2-Mediocre
12. Jonas Brothers - Sucker

3-Decent
11. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
10. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love 

4-Good
9. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
8. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
7. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier
6. Lizzo - Truth Hurts
5. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You 

5-Great
4. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
3. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
2. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
1. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down

Score: 52% (F)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Blanco Brown - The Git Up
2. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You
5. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
2. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!
3. Post Malone - Goodbyes
4. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
5. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita

Have a great week!

~ Jack :)       

2 comments:

  1. OOF! Nightmare goes from green to red in the span of 4 weeks D:

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...