Sunday, June 30, 2019

Shawn Mendes (1) - Week Of June 29, 2019














Hey guys! We finally have a new number one in the countdown world, and it is certainly a breath of fresh air. Besides that, the countdown was kind of boring this week. Before we get into it, let's say goodbye to the song that is leaving us this week.
  • Alessia Cara - Out Of Love (#42)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Panic! At The Disco - Say Amen (Saturday Night)
Last Week's #1 Song: Jonas Brothers - Sucker

The Chart
45. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#44)
44. Jordan McGraw - Flexible (#43)
43. Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over (#45)
42. Bazzi - Paradise (#37)
41. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#38) [2 Weeks At #1]
40. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#39)
39. Post Malone - Wow. (#40)
38. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#41)
37. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close (#35)
36. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#34) [8 Weeks At #1]
35. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired... (#32)
34. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend (#36)
33. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#31) [7 Weeks At #1]
32. Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me (#28)
31. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (#29)
30. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#30)
29. Martin Garrix/Macklemore/Patrick Stump - Summer Days (#27)
28. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#26)
27. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You (#33)
26. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#19)
25. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#25)
24. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#21)
23. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (#14)
22. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy (#23)
21. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#24)
20. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (#17)
19. Ava Max - So Am I (#20)
18. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (#22)
17. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down (DEBUT)
16. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#15)
15. Katy Perry - Never Really Over (#16)
14. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#12)
13. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier (#13)
12. Halsey - Without Me (#10) [5 Weeks At #1]
11. Jonas Brothers - Cool (#11)
10. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#7) [3 Weeks At #1]
9. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#9)
8. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#8)
7. Khalid - Talk (#18)
6. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care (#5)
5. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME! (#2)
4. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#1) [13 Weeks At #1]
3. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#4)
2. Halsey - Nightmare (#6)
1. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (#3) [1st Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (-9)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Khalid - Talk (+11)

Spotlight Of The Week: Ed Sheeran/Khalid - Beautiful People
 
New Entrants

~ Our sole entrant this week comes from Taylor Swift with You Need To Calm Down. This certainly isn't her best work, but I am able to appreciate this son for what it is. Vocally, she sounds good here, and I somewhat like the production. I'm not really sure this hits big enough of a stride to be released as a single. I feel as if she should have just left this one simply as a promotional offering. However, I can bear this song. So, I don't really care what happens to it here in the long run. After all, we always have ME!.


Hit-Bound
  • Blanco Brown - The Git Up (DEBUT)
  • P!nk - Hustle
  • In Real Life - Crazy AF
  • Lizzo - Truth Hurts
  • SHAED - Trampoline (DEBUT)
  • Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
  • The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
  • AJR - 100 Bad Days
  • Ed Sheeran/Chance The Rapper/PnB Rock - Cross Me
  • Asher Angel - One Thought Away
  • OneRepublic - Rescue Me
  • Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
  • Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
  • Public - Make You Mine
  • Kygo & Rita Ora - Carry On
~ The first new song that we get to Hit-Bound this week is The Git Up by Blanco Brown. Let me tell you, this song is absolute shit. It is even worse than Lil Nas X's Old Town Road, which this song is practically a carbon copy of. I do not understand why Hits 1 felt the need to pick up on this song, it is utter trash. Blanco Brown sounds awful--and while the song's production may sound more "country" than Old Town Road, it still is far from even being a member of that genre. I seriously hope that this song does not make it onto the countdown.

~ Next up is a song that I guess is just getting popular now, even though I was more of a fan of it months ago. That song is Trampoline by SHAED. She has a nice voice here, and the production is solid. The only reason that I picked up on this song in the first place--despite it being out for a while--was that it was featured in an Apple commercial months back, and just got stuck in my head.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello - Find U Again
2. The Chainsmokers & Bebe Rexha - Call You Mine
3. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Señorita
4. Miley Cyrus - Mother's Daughter
5. SHAED - Trampoline


You Need To Blurb Down

~ Sucker has finally been dethroned from its thirteen-week-long reign atop the countdown. We have a fresh breath of air atop the chart in the form of If I Can't Have You from Shawn Mendes. Although this isn't his best and not my top choice for the #1 song in the top 5 at the moment, I will take this.

~ Khalid took a pretty big leap up to #7 with Talk this week. I am really not appreciating this jump this late in the game (of this song's countdown run) because I frankly can't stand it anymore.

~ If We Have Each Other was brought into the top 20 in exchange for Speechless--which really wasn't all that good of a trade at all, considering that I am pretty sick of this song at the moment--although my feelings keep fluctuating.

~ There should be no need for With You to go any further on this countdown. It has already been here long enough, and I am just sick of Meghan Trainor's voice bringing its presence onto this countdown.

~ I feel as if Hits 1 is trying to torture us at this song by keeping two overrated and overplayed songs hanging in the middle of the countdown when they are no longer relevant. Let Me Down Slowly and Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored both need to go before my ears fall off. They are just so incredibly overplayed that I have grown sick of them.

~ At this point, I am not sure Paradise will be with us another week. This song was doomed from the start.

~ Speaking of songs that I don't think (or at least strongly hope) should be with us for another week, we still have the stale When The Party's Over, the incredibly irrelevant Flexible, and the fairy annoying 7 Rings.

~ As far as our exit, Out Of Love wasn't dealt the best cards here. Unfortunately, it just hung around in the bottom few songs the entire time it was here.

~ My personal chart has shifted from 45 songs to 50 songs! I have officially decided to keep it like this for all future charts. I hope you will check it out!

My Personal Chart (6/29/2019): http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/jacks-top-50


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
20. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road 

1-Bad
19. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
18. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
17. Ava Max - So Am I
16. Halsey - Without Me
15. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
14. Khalid - Talk
13. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
12. Jonas Brothers - Cool 

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
NONE

4-Good
11. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
10. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
9. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
8. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Easier 

5-Great
7. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me
6. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
5. Halsey - Nightmare
4. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
3. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
2. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!

Score: 59% (F)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
2. Dan + Shay - Speechless
3. Kaskade & Meghan Trainor - With You
4. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
5. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!
2. Katy Perry - Never Really Over
3. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
4. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down
5. Halsey - Nightmare

Thanks for reading! More is on the way!

~ Jack :)

  

2 comments:

  1. I'm so freaking happy Sucker is not number one anymore. I was more surprised hearing Who Do You Love at #3, since at that point I know it was either Nightmare or If I Can't Have You at #1. Not a lot of people like Nightmare, but it's my favorite song on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just asking, what's so bad about HLMIMI? Also this is that Gelography guy from ages ago and I still exist.

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...