Saturday, December 10, 2016

Shawn Mendes (2) - Week Of December 10, 2016

61c08a61-d62b-4abb-8144-4754c2a3c006.jpg (1072×603)
This week was good and awful at the same time. I liked our class of entrants very much, but we are beginning to enter the dark ages of this countdown, once again. We definitely didn't need the #1 song this week, in fact it shouldn't even be here anymore. Anyways, I hope you all had a good week and before we get to this week's (not so) fresh 45 hits, here are the songs we are saying goodbye to:
  • Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (#36)
  • Lady Gaga - Perfect Illusion (#39)
  • Charlie Puth/Selena Gomez - We Don't Talk Anymore (#42)
  • Nick Jonas - Bacon (#45)
Last Week's #1 Song: The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Adele - Hello

The Countdown
45. Calvin Harris - My Way (#43)
44. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Girls Talk Boys (#41)
43. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover) (#40)
42. Mike Posner/SeeB - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (#37)
41. Kenny Chesney/P!nk - Setting The World On Fire (#44)
40. Charli XCX - After The Afterparty (DEBUT)
39. Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out (#38)
38. John Legend - Love Me Now (DEBUT)
37. DNCE - Body Moves (#29)
36. Calvin Harris/Rihanna - This Is What You Came For (#35)
35. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (DEBUT)
34. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling! (#33)
33. Sia/Sean Paul - Cheap Thrills (#34)
32. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (DEBUT)
31. Twenty One Pilots - Ride (#27)
30. The Chainsmokers/Daya - Don't Let Me Down (#31)
29. Gnash/Olivia O'Brien - I Hate U, I Love U (#32)
28. Major Lazer/Justin Bieber/MØ - Cold Water (#15)
27. Coldplay/SeeB - Hymn For The Weekend (#23)
26. Runaground - Chase You Down (#26)
25. Fifth Harmony - That's My Girl (#22)
24. Bastille - Good Grief (#21)
23. Sia/Kendrick Lamar - The Greatest (#17)
22. Adele - Water Under The Bridge (#30)
21. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side (#19)
20. Andy Grammer - Fresh Eyes (#14)
19. DJ Snake/Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You (#3)
18. X Ambassadors - Unsteady (#18)
17. Jon Bellion - All Time Low (#28)
16. Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty (#11)
15. Pitbull/Flo Rida/LunchMoney Lewis - Greenlight (#24)
14. Train - Play That Song (#25)
13. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - Starboy (#8)
12. OneRepublic - Kids (#16)
11. Martin Garrix/Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love (#20)
10. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know (#12)
9. Ariana Grande - Into You (#9)
8. Panic! At The Disco - Death Of A Bachelor (#7)
7. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (#6)
6. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens (#2)
5. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful (#13)
4. Niall Horan - This Town (#10)
3. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#1)
2. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd - Starving (#4)
1. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better (#5)

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: DJ Snake/Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You (-16)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Jon Bellion - All Time Low and Train - Play That Song (+11)

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Louisa Johnson - So Good

#1 Recommendation For You: Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever

New Entrants

~ Our first and best entrant this weeks comes from Charli XCX returning after a year or so without music. After The Afterparty is definitely a catchy tune and one that I've been having on replay lately. I really did think that Lil Yachty had a good part in this song, but Hits 1 blocked it out, as I assumed they'd do. It was a small part, anyway, so I'm not that bothered by it. All in all, I will probably listen to this song too much that I will eventually get sick of it at some point, but for now, I would love to see it have some success. 

~ Our next entrant this week is from John Legend, solo style. I really am liking Love Me Now at the moment. I can really see why he made this song and it really has a great meaning, with a catchy vibe as well, which is a bonus to have. So, I would love to see this song have some success because I frankly believe it deserves a good amount while it is here.

~ Next up is from new Hits 1 artist, James Arthur, in the form of Say You Won't Let Go. At first, this song didn't appeal to me much, but after a few more listens, I began to like it and realized the great message it has. I feel like this is a breath of fresh air from our normal clientele here on the countdown. I really would like to see some good success, maybe a peak in the low teens, that would be fine at least.

~ Lastly this week is our worst, but technically not worst entrant, Lady Gaga - Million Reasons. I am really having trouble sticking with this song. It sticks with me for a little while, then it fades on me, and then I grow back into it again. Right now, I am in the stage where it's beginning to fade on me. The reason this is happening with this song is it is not something I am used to hearing from Lady Gaga. It just doesn't seem quite her. This song is better than Perfect Illusion, but I don't really think I want it to have much success here, maybe a little bit, depending if it grows back on me or not.

HitBound

  • Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap
  • Little Mix - Shout Out To My Ex (DEBUT)
  • Captain Cuts/Nateur - Love Like We Used To
  • Rihanna - Love On The Brain
  • Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad Things
  • Shawn Mendes - Mercy
  • Dua Lipa - Blow Your Mind (Mwah)
  • Calum Scott - Dancing On My Own
  • Lukas Graham - You're Not There
  • Maty Noyes - On My Mind (DEBUT)
  • Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (DEBUT)
  • Gavin DeGraw - She Sets The City On Fire 
  • Hey Violet - Guys My Age (DEBUT)
  • Daya - Words
Top 5 HitBound Songs
1. Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Want To Live Forever
2. Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad Things
3. Dua Lipa - Blow Your Mind (Mwah)
4. Maty Noyes - In My Mind
5. Little Mix - Shout Out To My Ex

Million Blurbs

~ I would like really appreciate it if Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better was not #1. This song is so old and thus far hasn't even deserved to be #1. Stitches, from last year was a much better choice.

~ Wow, I didn't expect to see the big jumps from Niall Horan - This Town and Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful this week. I really don't mind much, though.

~ Ariana Grande - Into You is still good, don't get me wrong. It is just unnecessary at this point to keep it this high when her better song should be there.

~ I really don't understand why mediocre songs like Train - Play That Song and Pitbull/Flo Rida/LunchMoney Lewis - Greenlight are getting this kind of recognition. They just aren't that good.

~ I am glad Jon Bellion - All Time Low made a jump back into the top 20, but it probably won't last, unfortunately.

~ Well, we had a tumble from DJ Snake/Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You this week. I really don't think this was the song that should've dropped, but it's Hits 1, and you know them.

~ I am literally getting sick of how the best song here, Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side cannot just make a reasonable jump already! I really don't understand it. These annoying jumps and drops in and out of the top 20 are really aggravating me.

~ One good thing that happened this week was the jump of Adele - Water Under The Bridge. Hopefully this lasts a while.

~ Okay, if Major Lazer/Justin Bieber/MØ - Cold Water keeps doing these strange large jumps and drops everywhere, I'm going to start questioning people's sanity. Just pick a direction!

~ I would love an explanation as to why DNCE - Body Moves is dropping like this. Hello? Is anyone there? Oh, sorry, I forgot the voters here don't like to give reasonable explanations for these ridiculous things.

~ Okay, this is really getting annoying now. Kenny Chesney/P!nk - Setting The World On Fire, Mike Posner/SeeB - I Took A Pill In Ibiza, Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover), and most of all, 5 Seconds Of Summer - Girls Talk Boys are all long overdue for exits. I mean, like I am getting mad when this garbage is still here, clogging up spots that good songs from HitBound can take.

~ I think it may be time for Calvin Harris - My Way to leave with pride and dignity. This song just didn't have success here for some reason, unless it wants to make a miraculous comeback, which I would like very much.

Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
20. X Ambassadors - Unsteady
19. Andy Grammer - Fresh Eyes

1-Bad
18. OneRepublic - Kids
17. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
16. Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty

2-Mediocre
15. Panic! At The Disco - Death Of A Bachelor
14. Pitbull/Flo Rida/LunchMoney Lewis - Greenlight
13. Martin Garrix/Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love
12. Train - Play That Song

3-Decent
NONE

4-Good
11. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
10. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
9. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
8. Niall Horan - This Town
7. Ariana Grande - Into You
6. DJ Snake/Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You
5. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know
4. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - Starboy

5-Great
3. Hailee Steinfled & Grey/Zedd - Starving
2. Jon Bellion - All Time Low
1. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer

Score: 56/100

Bottom 5 Songs This Week
1. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Girls Talk Boys
2. Kenny Chesney/P!nk - Setting The World On Fire
3. Mike Posner/SeeB - I Took A Pill In Ibiza
4. X Ambassadors - Unsteady
5. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

Top 5 Songs This Week
1. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side To Side
2. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer
3. Charli XCX - After The Afterparty
4. Fifth Harmony - That's My Girl
5. Adele - Water Under The Bridge

The Hot 45 Chart will be out later!

Love ya fam!

~ Jack :)

16 comments:

  1. Side To Side is just boring reggae, with the whitest and petitest white girl, (Ariana Grande) making a fucking reggae song. And her screams near the end of the chorus, "And bo-o-o-o-o--oy" are annoying. And we got Nicki rhyming bicycle, with tricycle and icicle. Which may just be the worst thing in pop 2016. How is this your #1 song on here and not something good like Closer, or Water Under The Bridge, both of which are in your top 5 and are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite song because it is fun to jam out to Miles. Maybe in your eyes it sucks, but in mine, it is a very decent song. By the way, Closer and Water Under The Bridge are very close to being my favorites, in fact, if Side To Side left, Closer would be my favorite song again. There has been one week when Closer has been the best song on the countdown over Side To Side. Lastly, this is my opinion, and I don't want to see a rant about it. Maybe you can consider it a guilty pleasure to me in your eyes.

      Delete
    2. The phrase "fun to jam out to" is not a good argument. I actually explain why I don't like it, why can't you and . do the same? I don't like the boring reggae production, sung by the petitest and whitest girl in the music scene today. And then you have her annunciations and voice. "And bo-o-o-o-o--oy" is the last thing I want to hear from someone that many call "Mini Mariah." And then you have Nicki's boring voice and flow, as well as rhyming tricycle, with bicycle and icicle. And its not even a good workout song either, even with the line "got me working side to side" when Physical by Olivia Newtown John from the 80s was a much better sex anthem/workout song. This is nowhere near as good as Physical. And finally this is not a fucking rant, is called a critique, something you need to work on in your blurbs and new arrivals. Same goes to . as well.

      Delete
    3. I'm not taking any more comments about my opinions...

      Delete
    4. Okay? Miles, maybe I should just say you're favorite song sucks...

      Delete
    5. It's also "walking side to side"... ;)

      Delete
    6. Well it sounds like working, and if you've seen the video, it only makes it even more obvious that the song is trying to be like Physical when its nothing like the iconic 80s song. Are seriously this pissy, you can't stand the fact I critiqued a song you like and actually gave a reason why I don't like it? And you think I'm terrible, I actually explained to you, why I don't like it, and all I ask is give me a better reason, and you respond in a childish way.

      Delete
    7. You didn't need to start it with commenting that it sucked in the first place. I said it was "fun to jam out to" and that is not something childish. Okay? You just had to start this didn't you? In your original comment, you didn't even ask me to give you a freaking explanation as to why I like it. Okay, bye.

      Delete
    8. That's not what I meant, I meant your other 3 comments about how "I'm not taking any more comments about my opinions... maybe I should just say you're favorite song sucks" That's what I meant. That's what I meant by being childish.

      Delete
    9. Ugh, stop with the arguing Miles. Respect people's opinions for once.

      Delete
    10. All I'm asking is an actual defense of a certain song, is that such a crime?

      Delete
  2. Can you describe I Don't Wanna Live Forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but I'll just give a basic overview and explain more in an entrant review. I think it will debut next week.

      So, I am really enjoying the falsetto Zayn has and Taylor compliments it very nicely. I believe the chorus is well done and is very catchy. I think it's a great song to represent Fifty Shades Darker.

      Delete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...