Sunday, May 12, 2019

Jonas Brothers (7) - Week Of May 11, 2019













Hey guys! It has been a few busy weeks for me, so I haven't been able to get the last couple of posts out. I have had college visits, my birthday, prom, preparing for a school music festival, and now AP exams--so I won't be able to get those last couple of posts out. However, I will review the past couple of week's debuts just so they aren't pushed aside. In a couple of weekends from now, I will be introducing a new thing for you all to participate in--so stay tuned for that. Anyways, before we get to this week's fresh 45 songs, here are the songs that are leaving us this week.
  • Austin Brown - In Betweenin' (#42)
  • Benny Blanco, Halsey, & Khalid - Eastside (#43)
  • Anne-Marie - 2002 (#44)
  • Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: 5 Seconds Of Summer - Want You Back
Last Week's #1 Song: Jonas Brothers - Sucker
 
The Countdown
45. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (#41)
44. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow (#30)
43. Avril Lavigne/Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (#38)
42. Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over (DEBUT)
41. Ally Brooke - Low Key (#37)
40. YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes (#25)
39. Alessia Cara - Out Of Love (#39)
38. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (#40)
37. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah (#17)
36. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#34)
35. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#33)
34. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy (DEBUT)
33. Jennifer Lopez & French Montana - Medicine (DEBUT)
32. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen/Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting (#19)
31. Khalid - Better (#20)
30. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#27)
29. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#26)
28. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend (#32)
27. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close (#29)
26. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#36)
25. Lizzo - Juice (#24)
24. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#28)
23. Post Malone - Wow. (#31)
22. Dean Lewis - Be Alright (#16)
21. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (#22)
20. BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv (#35)
19. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#23) [8 Weeks At #1]
18. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#7)
17. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (DEBUT)
16. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#21)
15. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired... (#14)
14. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#18)
13. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (#15)
12. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#10)
11. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#11) [7 Weeks At #1]
10. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#12)
9. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - Me! (#13)
8. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#8)
7. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#9)
6. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#6) [2 Weeks At #1]
5. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#3)
4. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#2)
3. Halsey - Without Me (#5) [5 Weeks At #1]
2. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#4) [3 Weeks At #1]
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#1) [7th Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah (-20)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv (+15)

#1 Recommendation Of The Week:
  • Christian Paul - When Love Don't Love You Back (4/27/2019)
  • Sabrina Carpenter - Exhale (5/4/2019)
  • Lauv - Drugs & The Internet (5/11/2019)

New Entrants

~ First up in this list of entrants I am going to quickly review is Lewis Capaldi with Someone You Loved. I have lost a little bit of interest in this song since its initial release a little while ago, but I still have a decent liking to it. I think we all know by now I am quite a sucker for a nice ballad. So, I was pretty much certain to like this brilliant piano-backed love song from the start. I am only hoping that it is successful here.

~ Next up, we have another great ballad; but one that is more relaxed. It is Alessia Cara with Out Of Love. This song has such a raw, tangible emotion and I was certainly not expecting this one to just hop right onto the countdown without warning like it did. Lyrically, this song is very well-done. Vocally, we get a good delivery, but I feel like she could have shown off her voice's limits a little more. I am hoping this song is not just going to fail here like it is doing right now, as it is one of my favorite songs of the moment.

~ Following that, we have a song that had been on Hit-Bound for quite a while. It is So Close from NOTD, Felix Jaehn, and Captain Cuts--featuring the vocal talents of Georgia Ku. This song really isn't all that special, but at the same time I can enjoy it every once in a while. The production is kind of generic, but Georgia Ku has a nice voice here. In the end, though, this song is pretty forgettable and not something that I am going to force myself to like.

~ Next, we have the best debut from a few weeks ago, which was Love Me Less from MAX and Quinn XCII. This is yet another example of a song from MAX that is great, and will probably end up being underrated. He has had some great songs like Gibberish and Basement Party that were just simply overlooked. Love Me Less is a bit different from his usual style, but he pulls it off with great style and charisma. He delivers a nice, upbeat track with great vocals and Quinn XCII does the same. I am hoping that this song can do well here.

~ First of the three Billie Eilish songs that I have to review now is Bury A Friend. Her music is a mixed bag for me. Some of it is good and some of it is awful. At first, I really wasn't liking this song and now it is back on the downhill trend. However, I didn't find it that bad for a while. It is unique, I give it that. But, Eilish doesn't show off great vocal talent anywhere in this song. I feel like this song is supposed to give off edgy and artistic vibes, but it kind of is a jumble of weird sounds and phrases when you get down to it. I don't really care how it does here at this point if I am being completely honest.

~ First up from last week, we have a song that was on Hit-Bound for far too long and one that I was hoping would not debut on the countdown. Dancing's Not A Crime is one of Panic! At The Disco's most generic songs. The chorus is obnoxious and Brendon Urie sounds the worst at that point. The lyrics are cut and paste and the song sounds like it was written in ten seconds, other than the verses. I don't really want this song turning into the next High Hopes or Hey Look Ma, I Made It--though it probably will.

~ Next is Boy With Luv from BTS and Halsey. This song is not good and you might as well not give Halsey a credit on this song because it is like she is a background singer. She actually doesn't sound bad here, but shes only in it for a few seconds--so that doesn't really help the song's case in my eyes. BTS sounds like garbage like they normally do and the production here is incredibly stale. I just want this one to leave, it is a hot mess.

~ With our best debut in the past few weeks, we have Me! from Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie. Although Taylor's last era was great, I am excited to see what she has to offer in this one. Me!, while having its cringey moments ("spelling is fun"), is a total hit for me. This could very well be a contender for the song of the summer. I was never expecting Taylor and Brendon to collaborate, but they have incredible chemistry and sound great together. In total, this song is very upbeat and uplifting and I am hoping it proves to be a great success.

~ Now, onto this week, we have Billie Eilish with When The Party's Over. I am not really sure why this is here, because this song was popular last fall. However, I am not a big complainer, because I find this song okay. I believe it is her best song aside from Lovely with Khalid. She shows off her voice decently here and we can actually see that she has some kind of talent--which I like. Conceptually, I like this song as well and lyrically, it hits somewhat of a stride. Again, I really don't know why this is here out of the blue, but as long as it is keeping bad songs out of here I am alright.

~ And...we have more Billie Eilish! Yay (half-sarcastically)! This time it is Bad Guy, which is an okay song, but nothing memorable in the slightest. It is quite similar to Bury A Friend in the sense that it does not showcase vocal ability in the slightest and has some pretty questionable lyrics. However, at certain times I can find myself listening to it. Even with that being said, I really don't care what it does here--until I inevitably get sick of it.

~ Next is Jennifer Lopez and French Montana with Medicine. This song is great, and proves that Jennifer Lopez still has it after whatever Limitless was. She has a great sound here and the production here is incredibly unique and fun. Even French Montana sounds good here, which I truly wasn't expecting. I am hoping this song can do well here.

~ Finally, we have reached the end of this with Shawn Mendes. He brings to us this week If I Can't Have You. The first time I listened to this song, it was stuck in my head all day after just one listen. He is vocally solid like usual and the track has nice, solid beat to back it up. Overall, Shawn Mendes has done it once again, he continually impresses me with his music.

Entrant Rankings:
  1. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - Me!
  2. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
  3. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
  4. Alessia Cara - Out Of Love
  5. Jennifer Lopez & French Montana - Medicine
  6. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
  7. Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
  8. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
  9. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close
  10. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
  11. BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv
  12. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime

Hit-Bound
  • Mabel - Don't Call Me Up (DEBUT)
  • Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care (DEBUT)
  • SZA, The Weeknd, & Travis Scott - Power Is Power
  • The Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly
  • lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid
  • Ava Max - So Am I
  • Jonas Brothers - Cool
  • Kygo & Rita Ora - Carry On
  • Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
  • Khalid - Talk (DEBUT)
  • Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us
  • P!nk - Hustle
  • Jordan McGraw - Flexible
  • Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me
  • Bazzi - Paradise
~ We have three great Hit-Bound debuts this week, which is very good. First up is Mabel with Don't Call Me Up. She has a nice sound and the hook on this song is incredibly catchy. Meanwhile, when you listen to this song you feel incredibly cool and edgy. I would love to see this song debut on the countdown in the near future.

~ Next up is Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber with I Don't Care. This song is very, very well done. Both of them have a nice sound together and the song is very well-produced. Lyrically, the song tells a nice story of love and how one completely ignores their anxious feelings when the one they love is having fun while they are out. All set aside, though, I am banking on this one being on the countdown next week.

~ Finally, we have Khalid with Talk. This one has a very laid-back vibe and Khalid delivers nice, soothing vocals as always. It is simply just a good song, and I don't really have anything else to say about it.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. SZA, The Weeknd, & Travis Scott - Power Is Power
2. Bazzi - Paradise
3. The Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly
4. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
5. Mabel - Don't Call Me Up


~ No blurbs this week, as this post is quite long due to all of the entrant reviews that I had to do. They will be back next week. :)

~ Personal Chart (5/11/2019): http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/hot-45-chart-104


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!

0-Garbage
NONE

1-Bad
20. Dan + Shay - Speechless
19. BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv
18. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me 

2-Mediocre
17. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
16. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling 

3-Decent
15. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes

4-Good
14. Halsey - Without Me
13. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
12. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
11. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar
10. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It 

5-Great
9. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
8. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
7. P!nk - Walk Me Home
6. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me
5. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...
4. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
3. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
1. TIE: Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
1. TIE: Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - Me!

Score: 75% (C)


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
2. Dan + Shay - Tequila
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Ally Brooke - Low Key
5. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. TIE: Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - Me!
1. TIE: Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
3. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less 
4. Alessia Cara - Out Of Love
5. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love


Thanks for reading! Have a great week!

~ Jack :)      

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting! I'm really sad 11 minutes is dropping, it's going down way too fast. It's my favorite song, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DeathDefyingDemon, welcome to the blog.I am Chasetrovicii. So you are now the new person. Welcome, glad to have you.

      Delete
  2. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Christian Paul - Strong

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...