Monday, June 18, 2018

What Have I Been Listening To While I Was Gone? Here Are A Few Of My Favorites!

In this first official post that I have had in months, I will reveal my top 15 songs of this very moment and tell you what I enjoy about each and every one of them. These are the songs that have lately been on repeat on my playlists and have been feel-good and go-to songs when I need a little boost of energy or focus or a little bit of light in my day. They are not in any set or specific order, although the #1 song on this list is my favorite song at the moment, without any exception. Without further adieu, here you go. 


15. Shawn Mendes/Khalid - Youth
Image result for shawn mendes and khalid youth single cover
This song has been such an empowering song, especially in this day and age, given the current generation we have. I love the message it spreads, saying that youth is something that cannot be taken away no matter what stands in the way. It is a part of each and every one of us, and our youth defines our lives. I believe Khalid did an exceptionally good job on this track. I love his voice so much. While Shawn is still good, Khalid definitely sold this song for me. I especially enjoyed when their two voices finally blended together, as the song built up. The chorus has a nice progression and the production for this song is a nice fit. It is a perfect anthem for the youth of the past, present, and tomorrow. I feel so empowered every time it happens to come on.


14. Alessia Cara - Growing Pains
Image result for alessia cara growing pains
It had been a while since we had heard from Alessia Cara until this Friday. Knowing that this song was only released a few days ago, I have come to love it just as much as any song that has been out for months now. She never ceases to disappoint me with anything she releases. Her lyrics are beautiful in their own way for this song. It is such a stand-out amongst her singles, and may very well be my favorite of all of the ones she has previously released. The way the song opens is such a creative way in expressing the direction in which the song progresses in. I felt the raw expression of her personal struggles in this song and it reflected upon everything she's ever been through in her life. She wrote this on her own, and it really shows the individuality. It's something new that I had never expected to hear from her, but I have fallen so much in love with this song and everything it has to offer. I feel as if anyone could really relate to this song when experiencing the metamorphosis and change that life places upon our shoulders. It's been at the top of my rotation all weekend and will likely continue to be for the foreseeable future.


13. NOTD/Bea Miller - I Wanna Know
Image result for notd bea miller i wanna know single
This song. This song just uplifts me with such an amazing feeling every time I listen. Seeing as Bea Miller always impresses me with her strange, yet soothing vocals, I expected myself to enjoy this song one hundred percent. I love how this song makes such a nice expression of grievance after a breakup. Miller's vocals truly fit the circumstances surrounding the song. The electro-pop feel to this song is what truly pieces it all together. I had not expected that her voice would fit with it, but it really does. Every time this song happens to come on, I am in a state of mesmerization, especially when the chorus comes on. I find this song especially good, and it has been a definite standout track for me this year.


12. Bazzi - Mine
Image result for bazzi mine single
I have to admit that this song was something I had no interest in, at first listen. Once I had decided at first listen that I really had no enjoyment in listening to this track, I passed it the next few times I heard it. However, after one accidental listen on the radio, something transformed, and my opinion was fully changed on this song. I don't know what the circumstance happened to be behind it. It kind of just happened. Despite the short tenure in which this song lasts, I find it quite enjoyable from start to finish. I have learned to appreciate the lyrics for what they mean, and I really like them. Bazzi doesn't have an awful voice either. I have actually come to enjoy his most recent single, Beautiful, as well. During my time off of posting, I began to open my eyes more to new genres of music, and began to give more songs second chances. Many of times, I learned that some of those tracks were actually really meaningful, and I understood why people liked them. This is one of them, and I cannot imagine myself hating this song at all anymore.


11. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies
Image result for khalid normani love lies single cover
From first listen, I have completely been in love with this track. I love Khalid's voice and Normani is beautiful in this song, like any other. My favorite parts in this song is how their voices happen to blend in perfect harmony, as the song progresses. I absolutely love how it sounds, especially in the last chorus. The song has such a sultry feel, but such a nice underlying focus. These two have amazing chemistry on this track and I really would love to see them work together in the future. I love to listen to this song when I'm feeling a bit low. It's definitely a type of track that washes you over with a breath of fresh air and new feeling. The production is very well-done, which really just puts together everything in this song. I don't see myself getting sick of this in the foreseeable future.


10. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
Image result for shawn mendes in my blood single cover
I have really been feeling Shawn Mendes's newer singles. His sound has definitely changed since his last album and his songs have struck me as more empowering and meaningful, while still keeping to their previously noted pop undertones. In My Blood is such an amazing track and the first time I heard it, I fell in love with it. It really lifts my spirits every time it plays. His voice is unlike anything I have ever heard from him before, and I really like the strength and power every time the chorus is led up to. Long story short, the production, vocals, and meaningful lyrics surrounding this song empower me every time I happen to take a quick listen. There are so many similar feelings I experience when I listen to this song and Youth.


9. Billie Eilish & Khalid - Lovely
Image result for billie eilish lovely single cover
This track never ceases to captivate me after every listen. Khalid, once again has appeared on this list, and this time with the mesmerizing voice of Billie Eilish. This song, having the strange production and feel it does, always proves itself to be a feel-good song to me. I really appreciate the underlying meaning to the lyrics and how they illustrate a darker experience in someone's life. I feel as if its a song that someone can really connect to, which means a lot to me when I listen to a song. I always try to look for true meaning in a song, despite my love for just fun songs in general. Billie Eilish, let me tell you, has one of the greatest voices I have ever heard. She can change her register from low to high in seconds, and it really showcases in this song, especially in the chorus. Khalid, as usual does a good job and his mysterious voice really fits the feel in this song. Not to mention, this song has incredible underlying instrumentals, which really captivate me as well. It's a beautiful piece from start to finish. This is definitely something I would highly suggest listening to if you have not. I don't understand how this song could be the slightest bit unlikeable, it is truly one of the best songs this year. It is in my top ten at the moment for sure.


8. Post Malone/Ty Dolla $ign - Psycho
Image result for psycho post malone single cover
Again, I am assuming that none of you would assume this be a song that I like, but it is. Any time this song happens to hit the airways, I instantly have something inside of me that triggers my senses. I usually find myself dancing and singing to this song, and I barely like Post Malone. He somehow captivated my attention with this song, and I don't really know how to explain it. It's just there, and it's really good in my eyes.


7. Pharrell Williams & Camila Cabello - Sangria Wine
Image result for sangria wine single cover
This is another feel-good song to me. I love Camila so much. She is such an amazing vocalist and I found it really nice when she put some vocals in Spanish for this song. She really put this song together. Pharrell did quite a nice job too, I enjoy his parts. Nevertheless, the quirky and odd production and the fun summer-feeling lyrics always put me in a mood to jam or even dance and have fun. I cannot hold back whenever this song comes on. It's too fun, and too good.


6. Selena Gomez - Back To You
Image result for back to you selena gomez single cover
Such a magnificent return to the radio for Selena with this single. Her vocals are outstanding, especially when the intro to the chorus comes. I feel the emotion in this song so strongly, and I like to listen to it when I'm feeling down. The production is outstanding and really puts it all together. I felt like it was perfect for Thirteen Reasons Why, and the visual for this song was all the more empowering. It's just another feel-good song for me, and has me singing along every time I listen.


5. Maroon 5/Cardi B - Girls Like You
Image result for girls like you maroon 5 single cover
Although I have not really been the biggest fan of Maroon 5's work lately, this song was definitely a redeemer of my opinions on them. I really like the message behind this song and I enjoyed the video for this one, too. It was very nice, and the message really reflected on me after watching it. It has a very generic pop production, which is characteristic of this band, but I still enjoy it. The vocals are pretty steady through this song, but still don't fail to impress me. It gives me a warm feeling when I listen, and Cardi B's verse is not bad at all, in my opinion. Overall, it is a really sweet and nice song and the video is an amazing representation of it.


4. The Chainsmokers & Drew Love - Somebody
Image result for somebody drew love the chainsmokers single cover
I have been feeling the vibe with the odd music The Chainsmokers have been releasing lately and the strange visuals to go with them. Somehow, I can just relate to the creepy, yet satisfying singles they have been releasing, such as You Owe Me and Sick Boy. Somebody is no different. I thoroughly enjoy the odd lyrics this song has to offer, especially when Taggart is singing. I find it quite interesting. The production is quite different than anything I have heard, and I hope the duo continues to release singles like this. I find them intriguing and enjoyable. They took a few risks with these deeper, and more personal singles, and in my opinion, they worked.


3. Taylor Swift - Delicate
Image result for delicate taylor swift single cover
I have loved this song since Reputation was released back in November. It was one of my favorites on that album and I was so pleased to see that it was released as a single. It is just a real simple song and I like it a lot. The simplicity is what makes it so good. The beat compliments the song very well and the vocals are nice. I am really one to like beats that complement songs. It is something that really sells me in a song, and this track is a perfect example. Although it hasn't been hugely successful on radio, it always makes me sing along whenever it comes on.


2. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry
Image result for no tears left to cry single cover
This song is very good in terms of expression and vocals. I find the meaning behind this song very significant. I can tell that it was written on the brink of her terrible emotions after the tragedy at her concert last year. I felt as if I could see Ariana's emotion that was put in this track and the visual was very odd, yet quite enjoyable. It was a quite literal complement to this song, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Her vocals, are without a doubt, amazing as usual, which is a huge sell for me in this song. When this single was first announced, it was my most anticipated track of the year. I was so excited to see her evolution and what she had to offer after all of her time of the radio. It has definitely been a song that I cannot keep off and one that never fails to put me in a good mood. 


1. Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
Image result for never be the same single cover
This song is absolute perfection from start to finish in my eyes and I could go on and on and on about it for days. It is one of my absolute favorite songs that I have ever heard, and that is no exaggeration. It definitely should signify to you how much this song means to me. I have never heard something so vocally and lyrically amazing, and the production is outstanding. I know many of you may disagree and say that this song is really nothing special, but its so much more to me. I can't imagine myself ever getting sick of this song. I truly believe that Camila Cabello is one of the best vocalists on the radio nowadays, and this song is really an indication of what she can demonstrate with her voice. Ever since Fifth Harmony, she has been my favorite member, she does everything with such perfection in my eyes. Her voice is just pure amazingness to me. I don't know how else to put it. The lyrics in this song, about a torn up love that leaves you always wanting more, are so good, and she sings every note beautifully. The last chorus is something that is my favorite part of this song. Her background vocals underlying the melody sound so good in the last few seconds of the song, I cannot even explain. Almost anything I'm going through allows this song to get me through it. If it is sad, or even amazing, I put on this song, and its always on repeat. Let me tell you, I have watched the video for this song about a hundred or more times. The visuals in the video are absolutely stunning and she is beautiful, just perfect to match them. Long story short, I feel absolutely empowered whenever this song comes on and this is just one reason why I absolutely love Camila and her work. Her album, too, was so good from start to finish. Many of you may disagree, but I have a lot to say about this song, and this is a very condensed review of it. It helped me through so many things this year, and that's just the tiniest fraction of a reason why I am so in love with it.





There you go, a fun little post to get things back and rolling. Right? I'm going to be trying out new styles of posts this summer and new things, but I will post as much as I can. It's going to be quite hard. I am so busy, but I will definitely try my best. I hope you enjoyed this post.

~ Jack :)

10 comments:

  1. Why couldn't your #1 be more predictable like Delicate instead of Camila's awful high voice in the pre-chorus with her rhyming nicotine and heroin and that awful, plotting production and her trying to belt. Havana at least showed her some restraint with good production to back it up, this is a waste of it, one of the worst off her album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. NTLTC is also one of my favourite songs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAS STAN PSYCHO!!!!!! Very surprised that you like it.

    Very glad that you like Somebody. I am happy someone else here likes the new Chainsmokers material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psycho is so good. And the newer material from The Chainsmokers is really good. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  4. Great list! Love "Love Lies", "Sangria Wine", "Delicate", and "No Tears Left to Cry"!

    NTLTC is my favorite from her in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...