Wednesday, November 25, 2015

2015 AMA's Review

Hello fam. The AMA's this year were really good in my book. Jennifer Lopez was a pretty good host and I didn't mind her hosting at all. The performances were outstanding for the most part and they had a pretty good lineup of presenters. Anyways, let's get started by recognizing the performers and then the awards.

1) Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight/Dance Medley


Comments: Although Jennifer was a good host, this performance was kind of bland. I really was drawn out towards the end because the performance was about 10 minutes long. Anyway, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.


Grade: 6/10


2) Luke Bryan/Karen Fairchild - Home Alone Tonight


Comments: Luke's vocals were good as usual and so were Karen's but the song wasn't that interesting. I had never heard it before but I felt like the performance lacked something but I don't know what.


Grade: 6/10


3) Gwen Stefani  Used To Love You


Comments: While Gwen sang her personal new song, there were very emotional images in the background which really tied the performance together. Although the backup dancers were odd, the performance in all was pretty good.


Grade: 9/10


4) Pentatonix/Symphony Orchestra - Star Wars Medley


Comments: I am not a fan of Star Wars, nor will I ever be but Pentatonix were really good that night, but when the orchestra came in and the scenes from the new movie, it got boring pretty quick.


Grade: 5/10


5) 5 Seconds Of Summer - Hey Everybody!


Comments: 5 Seconds Of Summer sounded like the were shouting most of the song when they were singing. Once again, they are aiming to sound like a rock band but I am just not feeling the rock vibe.


Grade: 8/10


6) Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance


Comments: This song is getting old and the performance was lacking like Luke and Karen's but I don't know what. It just was, and I felt as though they kept making instrumental mistakes in the performance.


Grade: 4.5/10


7) Selena Gomez - Same Old Love


Comments: I really liked how Selena walked down the old style staircase and the finger snapping just made the performance and the song seem a whole lot better.


Grade: 9.5/10


8) Macklemore & Ryan Lewis/Leon Bridges - Kevin


Comments: I am so relieved they did not sing Downtown. That would have been a nightmare. Although this performance had a good message, I can not take Macklemore's rapping anymore. It is really starting to annoy me.


Grade: 3.5/10


9) Carrie Underwood - Heartbeat


Comments: I thought it was a sweet song but the performance was kind of slow for me. Although it fit the song and Carrie's vocals were almost on point, something told me it was just average.


Grade: 7/10


10) Demi Lovato - Confident


Comments: Demi definitely looked Confident with the old style look and the way she danced and sang really made the performance and the song so much better.


Grade: 9.5/10


11) Nick Jonas - Chains/Levels/Jealous


Comments: I really thought this performance was bland. Nick really didn't do much until he got to the end with Jealous. I yawned a couple times but Jealous was pretty interactive.


Grade: 5/10


12) The Weeknd - The Hills


Comments: I like the fire. It made the performance really cool. The Weeknd really did a good job with the vocals. The ending really packed a punch in the performance.


Grade: 8.5/10


13) Coldplay - Adventure Of A Lifetime


Comments: So my brother was in the room watching this one and he said what's with all the dancing gorillas? And he kept asking me that. So, i admit the performance was a little odd.

Grade: 7/10

14) Meghan Trainor/Charlie Puth - Like I'm Gonna Lose You/Marvin Gaye

Comments: This was really good. The way Meghan opened up with Like I'm Gonna Lose You really brought my attention in for Marvin Gaye it was just amazing, and that killer make out session at the end really tied the performance together, not to mention both of their vocals were on point.

Grade: 9.5/10

15) One Direction - Perfect

Comments: Were they off key? Yes. One Direction was a tad off key when performing Perfect. So did that make it bad? Not necessarily. The performance was mediocre even though I still like the song.

Grade: 6/10

16) Celine Dion - Hymne A L'Amour

Comments: This was beautiful. The vocals were on point. And it was for all of our loves out in Paris which makes it 100 times better.

Grade: 8/10

17) Alanis Morissette/Demi Lovato - You Oughta Know

Comments. Eh. Nothing super special. I didn't find it spectacular. It was kind of average for my taste.

Grade: 7.5/10

18) Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean?/Where Are U Now/Sorry

Comments: Beautifully done. The rain shower at the end was really a great way to end the show.

Grade: 9/10

19) Ariana Grande - Focus

Comments: What a good comeback(ish) performance. That part when the glove ripped off of Ariana's handwh was the part that really drew me into the performance. A jazzy tune made even jazzier. not to mention she really hit those high notes.

Grade: 9.5/10

Now let's get started on the awards, shall we?

Artist Of The Year: One Direction

New Artist Of The Year Presented By Kohl's: Sam Hunt

Song Of The Year: Taylor Swift - Blank Space

Collaboration Of The Year Unleashed By T-Mobile: Skrillex/Diplo/Justin Bieber - Where Are U Now

Favorite Male Artist Pop/Rock: Ed Sheeran

Favorite Female Aritst Pop/Rock: Ariana Grande

Favorite Duo/Group Pop/Rock: One Direction

Favorite Album Pop/Rock: Taylor Swift -1989

Favorite Male Artist Country: Luke Bryan

Favorite Female Artist Country: Carrie Underwood

Favorite Duo/Group Country: Florida Georgia Line

Favorite Album Country: Florida Georgia Line - Anything Goes

Favorite Artist Rap/Hip Hop: Nicki Minaj

Favorite Album Rap/Hip Hop: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

Favorite Male Artist Soul/RB: The Weeknd

Favorite Female Artist Soul/RB: Rihanna

Favorite Album Soul/RB: The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness

Favorite Artist Alternative Rock: Fall Out Boy

Favorite Artist Adult Contemporary: Taylor Swift

Favorite Artist Latin: Enrique Iglesias

Favorite Artist Contemporary Inspirational: Casting Crowns

Favorite Artist Electronic Dance Music: Calvin Harris

Top Soundtrack: Pitch Perfect 2

Top 5 Performances
1. Meghan Trainor/Charlie Puth - Like I'm Gonna Lose You/Marvin Gaye
2. Ariana Grande - Focus
3. Selena Gomez - Same Old Love
4. Demi Lovato - Confident
5. Gwen Stefani - Used To Love You

Bottom 5 Performances
1. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis/Leon Bridges - Kevin
2. Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance
3. Pentatonix/Symphony Orchestra - Star Wars Medley
4. Nick Jonas - Chains/Levels/Jealous
5. Luke Bryan/Karen Fairchild - Home Alone Tonight

Love ya fam!

~Jack :)







2 comments:

  1. No offense, but you said the performances were outstanding for the most part, yet I felt you gave so much criticism (not that that's a bad thing) and you didn't give a single performance a 10 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to give a performance a 10 out of 10 this time because I usually give like 7 performances 10 out of 10 so I thought this time I would break down the performance and see what grade I give it. Thank you and I should have clarified that already. I am liking all these comments where I get to clarify and here your feedback it rocks! ...I probably shouldn't have said outstanding but you know

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...