Friday, April 19, 2019

Jonas Brothers (3) - Week Of April 13, 2019













Hey guys! It's been a bit of a crazy week, so I am sorry that this is late. Also, I have been working on a little bit of a song-ranking competition for May, so that will be announced in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping many of you will choose to participate, as it is not as time consuming as a total rankdown. Anyways, let's get to the countdown. Before we get to this week's fresh 45 here are the songs that are leaving us this week.
  • Meghan Trainor - All The Ways (#39)
  • LSD/Lil Wayne - Genius (#40)
  • Madison Beer - Hurts Like Hell (#41)
  • Charlie Puth - The Way I Am (#44)
  • Bebe Rexha - I'm A Mess (#45)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey - The Middle
Last Week's #1 Song: Jonas Brothers - Sucker

The Countdown
45. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies (#43)
44. Imagine Dragons - Natural (#42) [1 Week At #1]
43. Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower (#20)
42. Maren Morris - Girl (#35)
41. Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me (#38)
40. Fletcher - Undrunk (DEBUT)
39. Grandson - Apologize (#31)
38. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (#37)
37. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood (#33) [5 Weeks At #1]
36. Anne-Marie - 2002 (#28)
35. Jake Miller - Wait For You (#26)
34. Kelsea Ballerini - Miss Me More (#25)
33. Benny Blanco, Halsey, & Khalid - Eastside (#14)
32. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me (DEBUT)
31. Ciara - Thinking Bout You (DEBUT)
30. Austin Brown - In Betweenin' (#22)
29. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen/Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting (#29)
28. Avril Lavigne/Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (DEBUT)
27. Lizzo - Juice (#34)
26. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#12)
25. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (DEBUT)
24. YUNGBLUD & Halsey/Travis Barker - 11 Minutes (#27)
23. Post Malone - Wow. (#36)
22. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#23)
21. Ally Brooke - Low Key (#32)
20. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#19)
19. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah (#30)
18. Dean Lewis - Be Alright (#15)
17. Khalid - Better (#24)
16. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#8)
15. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#11)
14. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow (#17)
13. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired... (#16)
12. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#21)
11. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#18)
10. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#13) [8 Weeks At #1]
9. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#7) [7 Weeks At #1]
8. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#4)
7. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me (#9)
6. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier (#10) [2 Weeks At #1]
5. Halsey - Without Me (#6) [5 Weeks At #1]
4. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love (#3)
3. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#2)
2. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#5) [3 Weeks At #1]
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#1) [3rd Week At #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower (-23)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Post Malone - Wow. (+13)

#1 Recommendation Of The Week: P!nk/Cash Cash - Can We Pretend


New Entrants

~ First up in our week of amazing debuts is Fletcher. She brings us Undrunk. I like the differences this song has from a traditional pop hit. It has very well-written and meaningful lyrics. In addition, she brings strong and raw vocals to the table here, which blend perfectly with the context of the song. I would love to see this song have some success here, but I am not visualizing it going to well for it--which is a major shame. All set aside, though, I would love to hear more from her in the future for sure.

~ Next up is Here With Me from Marshmello and CHVRCHES. At the moment, I am more of a fan of this song rather than Happier--but that may just be due to the fact that the song has been wickedly overplayed. Production-wise, this song is similar to that of Happier. However, on the vocal side of things, it is a little bit different. Lauren Mayberry gives nice vocals here, and is able to carry them flawlessly through the song. I am hoping to see this one do good here, as it is still rising on radio.

~ From Ciara's upcoming album Beauty Marks, we also receive Thinkin Bout You this week. I thoroughly enjoy the nice, calming presence of this track. Her vocals are soft and melodic and I enjoy the nice guitar tones and consistent bassline. It gives a nice, raw feeling to the song. Yet another good addition to the countdown this week. Hopefully it is successful, it is quite superb.

~ Next up, we have Avril Lavigne, with a Nicki Minaj feature on Dumb Blonde. This song feels like a little bit of a late 1990's to early 2000's throwback-styled tune. I like how Avril blends her older punk-rock style with her more pop-oriented style with this track. I also love the rock hard drums and blaring brass instrumentals. While this certainly isn't her strongest track vocally, it is still confident enough to have a nice appeal. Nicki Minaj also brings a nice verse here, which was as expected.

~ Finally, our class of debuts this week caps out with Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored. This song is quite easily the best of the three official singles we have got from Ariana's recent Thank U, Next album. While her new direction of music isn't her strongest route, Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored is still an enjoyable listen. It has a nice vibe to it, and while her vocals are not the best, I can still manage to enjoy it upon a listen.

Entrant Rankings: 
  1. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You
  2. Fletcher - Undrunk
  3. Marshmello/CHVRCHES - Here With Me
  4. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
  5. Avril Lavigne/Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde

Hit-Bound 
  • Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (DEBUT)
  • Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
  • NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close
  • BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv (DEBUT)
  • lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid
  • MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
  • Ava Max - So Am I
  • Jonas Brothers - Cool
  • Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
  • Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other (DEBUT)
  • Kygo/Valerie Broussard - Think About You
  • Jordan McGraw - Flexible
  • Jennifer Lopez/French Montana - Medicine (DEBUT)
  • Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us
  • The Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly (DEBUT)
~ First up this week is Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus with Old Town Road. First off, I don't understand why this song is so popular. It is yet another example of the declining intelligence of the American public. This song is not country, and frankly not much is these days--but that is not the point. It is one hundred percent a trap song, and I don't understand why anyone else would think otherwise. Even when this song was taken off country charts by Billboard, Lil Nas X decided to release a remix with Billy Ray Cyrus, so he could crossover into the country genre. This just shows how desperate he is to get more recognition. This song is absolute garbage. It is terrible, and I cannot stand the fact that anyone likes it--but I guess this is what sells in the music industry now. It is seriously ridiculous and I am hoping that this song does not become big on Hits 1, because it didn't deserve to get big in the first place.

~ Next up, we have BTS and Halsey with Boy With Luv. This song has awful production, just like many of this group's songs. BTS doesn't deliver a good performance here, as the vocals are boring and the rapping on this track is obnoxious. Halsey sounds alright on this song, but she really isn't even on it that much. So, that is about the only thing that is good with this song. I also don't understand why BTS has songs that are so over-hyped, I just don't understand their massive appeal. They don't seem like anything special to me.

~ Following those two terrible songs, we have a pretty good one in the form of Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other. This guy does not have bad music. In fact, I like his unique voice very much. However, Let Me Down Slowly was wickedly overplayed and I just got sick of it at some point. If We Have Each Other hopefully won't follow the same path. I like this song. I think his vocals are nice, and I like how the lyrics tell a story. It also has some nice instrumentals. I would definitely like to see this song have some level of success.

~ Next comes Jennifer Lopez and French Montana with the best Hit-Bound debut of the week--Medicine. I really like this song. It has so much energy and it is super fun to listen to. Jennifer Lopez sounds great here, and it is a definite overall step up from Limitless. I wasn't so sure about French Montana's contributions going into this song, but he does really well too. I am really hoping that this song is successful.

~ Finally, we have The Chainsmokers with Kills You Slowly. After one listen, I think this song is good. I have it in green, but I can easily see it going down to blue. It is nothing super great, but I like it for the time being. It is kind of generic in terms of production patterns and Drew Taggart's voice isn't exactly top notch. It just has kind of an awkward feel, and I feel that there are a few things that could be touched up with this one to make it a little better.

My Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
2. Jennifer Lopez/French Montana - Medicine
3. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
4. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
5. Ava Max - So Am I


Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Blurbed

~ Jonas Brothers - Sucker is holding atop the countdown for another week. I am glad that we are just not seeing Panic! At The Disco or The Chainsmokers (with their "meh" songs) atop the countdown all the time. 

~ I am getting a little annoyed at this point that High Hopes keeps jumping in and out of the top 10. It has been there for far too long. I don't understand what is so unbelievably good about this song.

~ As a result of the drop from Tequila, we have Speechless rising. Although I am not a fan of this, I would prefer it do better, as it is the better of the two. I am just hoping that it doesn't stick around for as long as Tequila did.

~ Well, it's nice to see that Better by Khalid isn't dead. It was pretty dormant for a while there, but it managed to jump into the top 20. 

~ Why, why, why people? Why did Low Key jump all the way to #21 this week? I don't understand why people like this song. It is super generic and very poorly-written, poorly-produced, and poorly-executed. This song is literally not even relevant anywhere else right now, so why is it here?

~ I was pretty surprised to see that significant jump from Wow. this week. I was not expecting that in the slightest. I was thinking this song was just going to hover around in the bottom 5 for months, but that really isn't the case I guess. I don't mind this jump though, considering it's not that bad of a song. It is closer to green than it is to red.

~ Good thing that pretty big rise by In Betweenin' didn't last very long. I don't think that teenage boys trying to make it big is really a thing anymore. Justin Bieber pretty much did that and then closed the door to everyone else--and he really isn't anything special either. Between childish vocals and lyrics I cannot take seriously, this song just isn't good.

~ I am very pleased to see that downhill stumble from Eastside. It is just another generic and highly overrated song that didn't really need to be hyped up that much.

~ Speaking of big drops, Sunflower also took a pretty significant one. It went from being in the top 20, all the way to the bottom 5. I don't really care about the drop either way. I am not as big of a fan of the song as I once was.

~ As for the exits, it was a pretty good group that got the axe. I am very pleased to see both All The Ways and The Way I Am go. Both were extremely generic. The former was just another awfully produced and sung song my the irrelevant Meghan Trainor. The latter was a song that I once liked, but it was here for way too long and just became boring and annoying. As for Hurts Like Hell, it wasn't here at the right time to align with my opinions. I liked it for a while, but I eventually got kind of sick of it. Genius and I'm A Mess were two songs that I really didn't care either way what they did. So I am not upset over their exit.

~ Personal Chart (4/13/2019): http://crownnote.com/charts/jack-farrell/hot-45-chart-100


Let's Do A Top 20 Review!


0-Garbage
NONE

1-Bad
20. Dan + Shay - Speechless

2-Mediocre
NONE

3-Decent
19. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
18. Ellie Goulding & Diplo - Close To Me
17. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
16. Dean Lewis - Be Alright 

4-Good
15. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling
14. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
13. Khalid - Better
12. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings
11. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine
10. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
9. Halsey - Without Me
8. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar 

5-Great 
7. Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
6. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow
5. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
4. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...
3. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
2. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
1. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love

Score: 80% (B-


My Bottom 5 Countdown Picks
1. Dan + Shay - Tequila
2. Anne-Marie - 2002
3. Dan + Shay - Speechless
4. Benny Blanco, Halsey, & Khalid - Eastside
5. Ally Brooke - Low Key

My Top 5 Countdown Picks
1. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love
2. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
3. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
4. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You
5. Lauv & Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...

Thanks for reading!

~ Jack :)  

1 comment:

  1. First.

    Yay!!! Thanks for recommending Can We Pretend on Hits 1. I did the same thing too.

    ReplyDelete

More You May Like

Featured Content

2019 Year-End Post #4: My Top 45 Songs of 2019

2019, similar to years past, has been a pretty average year for music. There was a lot of bad, but there was also a lot of good. This year ...